Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why am I prescribed Zantac tablets for allergies/itch??

(4 Posts)
seoda24 Tue 26-Mar-13 22:07:32

Hi folks, am confused. I have been prescribed Zantac for eczema/ itch?Am currently taking other antihistamines so can't understand what benefits these fall under as when I read them up, they are for ulcers and indigestion.Can anyone fill me in as I am wondering what I am treating here?Thanks x

PowerPants Wed 27-Mar-13 01:00:40

Because Zantac is an H2 blocker - ie it works to block histamine on a different receptor to H1 antihistamines such as Piriton, Benadryl and so on.

I know it seems odd!

itshotintexas Wed 27-Mar-13 01:52:01

YY to powerpants, my DS takes pepsid H2 blocker and levocetirizine - works quite well - no facial/tongue/throat swelling to random foods smile

seoda24 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:50:30

Thanks very much for reassurance.I thought it was a mistake!That makes sense and I am glad to hear it works for your son.I have allergies so this must be an added precaution.Thanks again xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now