Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Amitriptyline for chronic migraine/headache

(8 Posts)
jasperc163 Tue 26-Mar-13 06:56:37

Anyone had this? If so did you feel zonked out and how quickly did it work (if at all)? Did the side effects wear off?

thank you

rubyrubyruby Tue 26-Mar-13 06:59:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Madcaplady Tue 26-Mar-13 07:02:15

jasperc163 Tue 26-Mar-13 07:42:37

thanks both
Madcaplady - glad you had a positive experience. I have chronic migraines (since January, previously less frequent) and have had a headache for a month solid now so desperate! I took 10mg for 9 nights and upped to 20mg 2 nights ago. No real effect yet on the head - how long did it take for it to work for you? Very groggy on 20mg but hoping that is temporary.

Madcaplady Tue 26-Mar-13 16:55:03

jasperc163 Tue 26-Mar-13 18:53:30

Thanks Madcaplady,
I am wondering if I should drop back down to 10mg again then as I have been a zombie all day today. Consultant implied 10mg unlikely to work but it obviously has for you.

Footle Tue 26-Mar-13 19:21:14

HavingALittleFaithBaby Wed 27-Mar-13 07:28:29

I took it when I had a virus that gave me a blinding headache (I'm talking admitted to hospital for a week I was so ill). I found it helpful although I'd only take it last thing at night because yes, it knocked me out. It's worth speaking to your GP about the dosage to find the balance between pain relief and being functional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now