Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone tried the Alexander Technique?

(14 Posts)
Walnutcakelover Mon 25-Mar-13 21:38:23

I suffer from shoulder pain, the Dr said it was just strained muscle due to being on the computer a lot. I have heard that the AT is supposed to be good. Has anyone tried it? if so did you find it beneficial.
Thanks.

RibenaFiend Mon 25-Mar-13 21:54:48

OOOH! I love the AT. I don't typically use it for pain management (although it's a fantastic distraction and controlling technique when I have horrendous thrush shock) for me, it's fabulous relaxation and realignment on a hard floor!!!

gingeroots Mon 25-Mar-13 22:09:30

Yes I do AT and would really recommend .

Its a bit of a long haul ,I'm a slow learner .

At the least you could learn the constructive ease/lying on the floor and this would always be useful

Like anything ,if poss ,try and have a session with a few different instructors to find someone you get on with .

Walnutcakelover Tue 26-Mar-13 09:43:58

OOH thanks ladies. I have found a lady who does this and she is supposed to be an expert at it, I tried various ladies but there weren't that many in my area, two ladies were teaching it as a class, but I want a one to one lesson. I will have at least 8-10 lessons as it is so expensive. I have also heard it adds a cm or two to your height, which I don't mind either wink.

Georgiemum123 Tue 26-Mar-13 14:28:55

I have been using AT for years and swear by it! You can find teachers near you on the website www.stat.org - Saw today that there is a double page spread about AT in OK! Magazine with great info.

Hope this helps! smile

Walnutcakelover Tue 26-Mar-13 14:43:13

Thanks georgie will have to try and pick the ok magazine grin, so in what way has it helped you guys, if you don't mind me asking.

Georgiemum123 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:44:49

I suffer from back pain and during pregnancy I found it tough and didn't want to continue my back medication. Through AT I managed to come off my back pain meds so I could have a healthy pregnancy and managed to have a natural birth from using the AT techniques. Continuing AT lessons after birth my back pain is almost non-existent and I have learnt how to avoid unnecessary tension in everyday activities. A lot of my friends have no taken up lessons to help with areas they suffer such as shoulder pain and won't look back!
Yes you should pick up Ok! had some great info but also maybe try the website too! Hope you find it helpful! http://www.stat.org.uk/

Walnutcakelover Tue 26-Mar-13 20:16:09

Thanks for that information Georgie I have checked out that website and have found a few, I rang one, and she charges £32 for half an Hr, gosh it's expensive.

Georgiemum123 Wed 27-Mar-13 09:36:00

Glad you found someone! Yes I thought that initially but when I realised how much I had spent on massages, chiropractors and an osteopath as ways to fix my back, I realised it was almost like an investment and after 3 lessons I already felt a difference. Instead of a treatment it is a preventative way of being which is why I personally think it works.

Amused11 Wed 03-Apr-13 11:22:05

Hi to those seeking help for chronic back pain, repetitive strain, neck and shoulder tension. If you have tried all the traditional routes with no lasting success - then I highly recommend the Alexander Technique. I Suggest you visit our society's website www.stat.org.co.uk Or if you live in the Kensington & Chelsea area I am A fully qualified, insured teacher with 20yrs experience - I am happy to offer mums net member a 50% discount on you first lesson. visit my website www.naturalcionfidence.co.uk

Amused11 Wed 03-Apr-13 11:36:03

As I mentioned in my post above I am happy to offer A 50% discount to members of mumsnet. for an introductory lesson in the Alexander Technique normally £50 - for 75 minutes discounted to £25 Visit my website for more details www.naturalconfidence.co.uk - there was a typo in my website link above - mention mumsnet to qualify for discount.

toodaloo Wed 03-Apr-13 11:44:27

I have got my first Alexander Technique lesson lesson tomorrow morning. I am looking forward to it and have only heard good things so I will report back as to how it goes!

toodaloo Thu 04-Apr-13 15:40:35

Oh dear I seem to have killed the thread! Well, anyway, I went to my first lesson this morning. The teacher seemed very nice. He took my medical history and what my aims, expectations were etc.... I walked around the room for him to look at my walk. I spent a long time standing and sitting from a stool, moving my shoulders, arms etc... and lying down on my back with my head on a couple of books.

It is harder then I thought it would be but unlearning habits isn't going to be easy, I have got another lesson next week and I will practise this week as best I can.

Walnutcakelover Thu 04-Apr-13 16:40:18

too that's really good, I can imagine it's hard. I haven't booked any lessons yet, because I want to make sure my finances are good before I commit to anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now