Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH is constantly tired even after 9 hours unbroken sleep

(18 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Sun 24-Mar-13 17:14:30

It's really worrying me. He's been like this for a while. He can conk out anywhere, anytime because he's just so weary.

This weekend, he went to bed at 11pm on Friday night, I let him sleep until 9am on Saturday. Up and about but a bit ratty (too much sleep) and then he conked out again between 5-8pm, up until 10.30pm whereupon he just was so tired and went to bed and straight to sleep.

Today, he was up by 7am, ratty and tired. He walked the dog, we all went out for lunch and he conked out on the playroom floor from 3-5pm. He's just staggered past me upstairs to bed.

He takes iron supplements now but it's not helping.

He suffers from food allergies - wheat, potato, dairy - tummy bloats, bad wind, sometimes his nose swells, occasionally has breathing difficulties all of which are mostly alleviated by an antihistamine.

Obviously, he's got to see the G.P. but I just can't think what it could be. It must be terrible to feel so zonked all the time. He says his work is suffering too.

Any notion?

Casmama Sun 24-Mar-13 17:18:52

Sleep apnoea? I'm no expert but think it is basically that you stop breathing for periods during your sleep and then catch your breath again but it disturbs your sleep.
I think being tired all the time is a very common reason to see the GP so it could probably be lots of things. GP sooner rather than later I think.

KurriKurri Sun 24-Mar-13 23:47:37

get him to ask his GP to test for thyroid problems - they can make you feel completely exhausted - so tired you can hardly function - ghastly, and worth checking because if it is that, it is reasonably easily sorted and he will feel a whole lot better quite quickly.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 25-Mar-13 10:41:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WinkyWinkola Mon 25-Mar-13 10:42:57

LisaD, ill with what?

Scruffalo Mon 25-Mar-13 10:52:51

Yes ask for blood tests. I had a similar problem for the last 5 months, sleeping for a full 8-9 hours at night then once I came back from the school run sleeping again for another 3-4 hours during the day. It didn't stop me feeling tired though and by 6-7pm I would be nodding off on the sofa again.

anyway my GP ordered some blood tests and they came back showing I had extremely low vitamin D levels (normally your body can get it from the sun) so he prescribed a high dose of vitD supplement. After 2 weeks I already feel better and no longer find my self napping through the day.

lisad123everybodydancenow Mon 25-Mar-13 10:55:47

WinkyWinkola Mon 25-Mar-13 10:59:30

Ah crap. Well, he said he would go. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

meditrina Mon 25-Mar-13 11:02:56

Unrefreshing sleep is often associated with sleep apnoea (with or without snoring); and the breathing difficulties fit with that too.

But TATT isn't the most straightforward thing to find the cause for and then sort out. Definitely worth asking GP for a full overhaul.

mutantninjamyrtle Mon 25-Mar-13 14:05:03

Any flank pain? Could be malfunctioning adrenal glands... no cortisol = asleep constantly.

WinkyWinkola Wed 27-Mar-13 13:17:17

So he said he went to the private GP they have near work. Barrage of blood tests showing up nothing.

The doctor said it could be stress making him conk out all the time.

Hmmm.

digerd Wed 27-Mar-13 17:22:42

Has he had a "Stress Test"? That is monitoring the heart during physical stress on a bycycle or on the tread mill.

Elibean Wed 27-Mar-13 19:36:17

Depression is another possibility...?

dh felt utterly exhausted and shite a few years after his brother died, and went through a barrage of tests before they figured out he was simply depressed. He couldn't stay awake, felt cold, etc.

narmada Wed 27-Mar-13 23:22:47

I don't think they should put it down to stress and leave it at that.

Coeliac? Has he lost any weight?

Thyroid function at maegins of acceptable ?

He needs an NHS GP who can follow things through...

narmada Wed 27-Mar-13 23:23:19

maegins?!?!? margins, obviously.

mirai Wed 27-Mar-13 23:30:24

Snazzynewyear Wed 27-Mar-13 23:30:35

Diabetes? Is he very thirsty too, getting up the night to pee and / or drink a lot?

Any bowel problems? A serious case of IBD would leave him very very tired and account for some of the other symptoms too.

Definitely go back to the NHS GP and get referrals for more tests. I would not be happy leaving it at 'oh, probably stress...'

WinkyWinkola Fri 29-Mar-13 14:08:59

No. He's fine in the drinking/weeing stakes. Could drink a bit more actually.

So he's going to our local G.P. next week with the blood test results from the private G.P.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now