Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What antibiotics would be px for a water infection ?

(27 Posts)
Twosugarsplease Fri 08-Mar-13 22:25:05

I've suffered from bloatedness, nausea, little urine passing during the day, wind, stomach spasms, tiredness, dizziness, and urine smelling not right.
I've bought Wind-eeze, and other remedies.
Tonight it's just suddenly dawned on me that im sure i have a water infection.
I'm trying to find a px my dh was given incase he needed them, as given by GP if needed though for a very sore throat, as has had quinces before.
As its the weekend and I can't get to see my GP until Thursday, I'm hoping to find his px that he no longer needs, incase it's flucloxacillin (which I'm sure is the anti-bi's also to treat UTI's.
I'm just a bit worried as if so I might have had a UTI for some time, and knowing it can cause kidney infections if left untreated I would happily use dh's px if they are suitable.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 09-Mar-13 19:45:24

There is also evidence that glycosaminoglycans can help interstitial cystitis so that is worth looking into.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 09-Mar-13 18:57:12

Zippy, I suspect its interstitial though no one apart from mumsnet has ever mentioned it to me. I probably should make more of an effort to change my diet and see if that helps but it's easier to take the tablets. blush

Twosugars, hope the OOH dr got you sorted today.

MewlingQuim Sat 09-Mar-13 18:35:27

Why not go to see your GP? It is never wise to take medication that was prescribed for someone else.

zippyrainbowbrite Sat 09-Mar-13 18:27:10

Viva, is yours bacterial or interstitial (sp?) cystitis? The latter is quite often triggered by certain foods, and although AB's help they never cure it.

If you've had investigative work done then you probably already know about it, but thought it was worth a mention just in case - I know it's miserable living with recurrent uti's!

VivaLeBeaver Sat 09-Mar-13 18:18:37

Well I must admit it has crossed my mind that I know a lot of people a lot heavier, none of whom have had a uti for two years.

To be honest as long as the gp is happy to give me the antibiotics I've given up caring. Ill just keep taking them for the rest of my life.

orangeflutie Sat 09-Mar-13 18:09:37

Nitrofurantoin is another AB often prescribed for UTIs.

catlady1 Sat 09-Mar-13 17:44:59

Viva same here! And having a wee after the camera was the worst pain ever! I'm a lot more overweight than you are though and they've never suggested that could be a reason.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 09-Mar-13 17:38:40

I've had a referral. Had a camera up my urethra and into my bladder and all sorts. They can't find anything wrong with me. Doctor told me to lose weight as my BMi is 29 so that must be causing it. hmm

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 09-Mar-13 14:20:57

I was just going to mention antibiotic choice can also be dependent on your medical history. For example I had a UTI that was only sensitive top gentamycin and Ciprofloxacin several years ago (only discovered over 5 days in hospital on TMPS). So as a result of my personal history if I have a UTI Cipro is always the initial drug of choice.
Viva have you not had a referral to investigate why you have a persisitent UTI? My mum had a persistent UTI sensitive to the antibiotics they were using I got her to push for a referral and it was due to prolapse allowing nidus for infection. Prolapse got fixed no further UTI.

Twosugarsplease Sat 09-Mar-13 07:33:54

Thanks for your replies everyone.
I found the is phenoxymethylpenicillin.
I have googled and not for UTI either.
Im going to pop in our OOH this morning, just hope they don't keep us too long, driving over to Cumbria to see my family today, that I've been looking forward to do much.
Stocking up with the water too.

ClayDavis Sat 09-Mar-13 00:50:06

Apart from the fact that you should never take medicines prescribed for somebody else, trimethoprim is the usual first line of action fir a UTI. I have had fluclox prescribed before, but that was after a urine sample had been cultured.

Do you have a walk in centre near you? They will dipstick a urine sample and give you a prescription for or a pack of trimethoprim.

catlady1 Fri 08-Mar-13 23:11:26

taketheribbon sorry, you're right. I knew that but when it came to trying to articulate it it just sounded wrong and like I was talking about bacteria taking over the world or something so I decided it couldn't be right!

I've only ever been prescribed amoxicillin and nitrofurantoin for water infections but my doctor was unwilling to prescribe trimethoprim in case it interfered with my contraceptive pill. If you're going to take any antibiotic you still need to speak to a doctor really, to make sure you have the correct strength and a long enough course.

timidviper Fri 08-Mar-13 23:00:10

BTW I'm not saying it would be totally unsuitable for every single UTI. If it had been cultured and shown to be susceptible then fine, but not for your average run of the mill infection.

timidviper Fri 08-Mar-13 22:58:46

The internet says all sorts of things Viva but the BNF, which is the reference guide used by medical professionals in the UK does not recommend flucloxacillin for UTIs, nor does the antibiotic formulary we use in our area.

Ginformation Fri 08-Mar-13 22:52:24

Trimethoprim, nitrofurantoin and co-amoxiclav (or amoxicillin) are used for UTIs. There is increasing resistance to trimethoprim and amoxicillin so not 1st choice in all areas. The above post about resistance and inappropriate antibiotic use is true. You can get advice from your GP out of hours service (if in UK). Hope you feeling better soon. Drinks load of water.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 08-Mar-13 22:50:12

I've had a UTI for over two years now and the GP has tried every type of antibiotic going. I definitely had flucloxicillin at one point. I've now been on trimethropin daily for about the last 20months. Still got the bloody uti though but it's manageable on trimethropin, but I miss a tablet or two and it flares up almost immediately.

taketheribbon Fri 08-Mar-13 22:42:55

Taking the wrong antibiotics will NOT make your body resistant to them - it will make the bugs/bacteria across the entire world more resistant.... It's not an individual body thing, it's a global bug/bacteria thing. Which is why the WHO is trying to encourage other countries to make antibiotics prescription only - you can buy them over the counter in many, many countries....

This information came from my British GP.

Trimethoprim is indeed the gold standard for urinary tract infections. Hope you can get hold of some.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 08-Mar-13 22:41:33

From net doctor;

The types of infection flucloxacillin is used to treat include: infections affecting the skin and soft tissue (eg boils, cellulitis, impetigo, and infected eczema, ulcers, burns and wounds); bone infections; urinary tract infections; respiratory tract infections (eg pneumonia, sinusitis, lung abcess, pharyngitis, quinsy); meningitis; and blood poisoning (septicaemia). Flucloxacillin is also sometimes used to prevent infections during major surgery, for example bone or heart surgery.

Read more:
Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook

timidviper Fri 08-Mar-13 22:38:29

No flucloxacillin is not suitable at all for urinary tract infections. It is a narrow spectrum antibiotic used for anaerobic infections such as cellulitis or wound infections. The usual treatment is a 3 day course of trimethoprim.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 08-Mar-13 22:37:58

You're not pregnant are you? I had all those symptoms when pregnant.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 08-Mar-13 22:36:46

It's normally trimethropin or amoxicillin for a uti. But fluclox is penicillin based and can be used for utis, it just may not be as effective as others.

Ooh and a urine sample would be best butifyou really can't get to a dr I'd take the abx.

catlady1 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:34:43

You really should see a doctor as taking the wrong type or strength of antibiotics will do absolutely nothing except make your body resistant to them so they don't work for you in future. And they can also give you an upset stomach, thrush etc which won't be worth it if they're not even getting rid of your UTI!

As LadyMary said, go to your emergency doctors as soon as you can, and in the meantime drink as much water as you can hold to water down your wee and make it less irritating.

Lucyellensmum95 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:34:12

I have some trimetheprim in my cupboard, i could pop them round! But in all honesty this doesn't sound like any UTI that i have had and im really prone to them hence the nurse pract giving me a double box of trim i think last time i had it.

UTI usually is urinating loads, but painful, followed by the urge to go but not producin much, burning sensation, lower abdo and back pain.

Drink loads and loads and loads and get ye to the OOH in the morning, if it is a UTI then you do not want to be waiting until monday.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 08-Mar-13 22:29:54

trimethoprim is the uti drug of choice.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 08-Mar-13 22:29:05

IIRC, flucloxacillin is used for skin infections, not for UTI's. They will grow your bug in the lab to try and find the most effective antibiotic, so it's never wise to self medicate. Go to the OOH, they will give you something more appropriate. In the mean time, keep drinking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: