Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

5-HTP

(7 Posts)
LJsmum Tue 20-Jan-04 00:39:56

Just wondering if anyone has tried 5-HTP before? It's an amino acid which which apparently acts as a natural seratonin supplement, & hence is used for the treatment of depression. As usual, there are good and bad reports about it, but I've also heard that it's very effective... am just wondering if anyone has taken it, and if there are any kinds of side effects. I considered taking St Johns Wort at one stage but was told that it can interfere with the birth control pill, so I'm looking for something else, as an alternative to AD's. Thanks.

MancMum Wed 21-Jan-04 10:25:40

Not taken it myself but my friend who has suffered v badly from depression has used it and says it is fantastic - better and quicker acting than St Johns Wort. She has not mentioned any side effects unlike with SJW so I would give it a go..

LJsmum Wed 21-Jan-04 10:35:18

Thanks MancMum, that's good to hear. I went out and bought some yesterday but haven't been game to try it yet, mainly because it doesn't seem to be a very well-known product... do you know how long she took it for?

MancMum Wed 21-Jan-04 10:52:47

She has been taking it for the last 3-4 months since she came off ads - she has stopped taking it daily and now just uses it on an ad-hoc basis when she knows shes feeling down/stressed/vulnerable. I think she took it everyday for a couple of months and then started to reduce slowly..

Hope it works for you - my friend has used almost everything after suffering the loss of a baby and she says these are the best things she has ever taken.

ghengis Thu 22-Jan-04 08:58:08

LjsMum, where did you buy it?

Davros Thu 22-Jan-04 09:26:12

I posted this on the Melatonin thread in Special Needs a few days ago. Haven't tried it ourselves as our son doesn't need it atm:
From Sunday TImes mag:
Melatonin is the hormone that controls the sleep cycle. Hormones are the body's chemical messengers and are highly sensitive, so even small changes in levels can have a dramatic impact. For those who cannot source this supplement from America [or on prescription], take a step back in the biochemistry of the brain and use another supplement, 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), which will act as a precursor for the manufacture of another hormone, serotonin. The body uses this to make melatonin, which is released from the pineal gland in the brain. Higher Nature's Serotone 5-HTP costs £8.10 for 30 capsules (01435 884668)

LJsmum Thu 22-Jan-04 11:45:49

ghengis I'm not in the UK but you can buy it online, or else it should be available from naturopaths or health food outlets that stock herbal & alternative remedies. Perhaps even some pharmacies might have it, but I'm not sure about that - I believe it can be a hard product to come by sometimes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: