Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

My husband today

(45 Posts)
Mytimewillcome Wed 27-Feb-13 18:46:17

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with him? Today he woke up looking like he hadn't slept for a week. Extremely tired. And then he kept forgetting to eat. When we went out I asked him to get food for our son and he went and then couldn't remember where he left us. He then went for food twice and came back without anything. He is slurring his words. He hasn't really eaten anything today and can't seem to remember anything in the short term at all. He didn't go out last night. Is it drugs related? I don't know as I've never done them. He did them a long time ago but hasn't since before he met me so at least 10 years.

exexpat Wed 27-Feb-13 18:50:20

I would call nhs direct or go straight to A&E. Could be something serious and neurological - slurring words and memory loss can be stroke symptoms.

AngryFeet Wed 27-Feb-13 18:51:24

Yes go to A&E

purplewithred Wed 27-Feb-13 18:51:39

Could be almost anything. What does he say? If you can't get any sense from him I'd be calling the OOH or more likely going up to A&E.

To consider: has he had a fall or accident and hit his head? if he doesn't know are there any bumps on his head? as you say, drugs/drink a possibility? headache? any previous issues with blood pressure/strokes? I would be concerned to be honest.

nocake Wed 27-Feb-13 18:51:51

There are a number of conditions that could cause this. The one that immediately comes to mind is a stroke. Get him to A&E now.

buildingmycorestrength Wed 27-Feb-13 19:15:58

Slurring words is very serious. Go to A&E now. Hope it is nothing but it sounds bad.

gordonpym Wed 27-Feb-13 20:51:24

Another one for A&E. Sounds like a stroke to me

Norem Wed 27-Feb-13 20:55:52

Straight to a and e, stay with him and explain his symptoms.
Make sure they do a full neurological exam.
If you are not satisfied ask to see the consultant on call.
Good luck .

cocolepew Wed 27-Feb-13 20:57:37

Take him or phone an ambulance .

TeamEdward Wed 27-Feb-13 20:59:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosa Wed 27-Feb-13 21:00:03

Agree A&E

Wolfcub Wed 27-Feb-13 21:01:01

you must go to a and e don't delay

MrsWolowitzerables Wed 27-Feb-13 21:01:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

undercoverhousewife Wed 27-Feb-13 21:01:39

A and E. Could be a diabetic type thingie (technical term). I hope it's all okay.

almostanotherday Wed 27-Feb-13 21:02:05

Hope he is ok and you have got him to A & E.

Mytimewillcome Wed 27-Feb-13 21:08:27

I haven't taken him to A&E because I have looked up the symptoms of a stroke and he only has slurred words. He made dinner and was going to stay and watch telly but I have told him to go to bed. He says he is fine but I think I'll ring NHS direct. He hasn't complained of any pain.

It almost seems like he's taken a sleeping pill and it hasn't worn off. He says that he did take one but as he isn't with it at all today I'm not sure whether I believe him.

Mytimewillcome Wed 27-Feb-13 21:09:17

And he ate his dinner.

Rosa Wed 27-Feb-13 21:17:33

But it is a symptom....... They don't have to have all of them at once

gordonpym Wed 27-Feb-13 21:17:44

You have more than just one symptom (speech) Confusion is another one :
"We all have minor episodes of forgetfulness. We may forget where our keys are, or that we had a doctor’s appointment that slipped our mind. This is nothing to worry about. If you suddenly forget what you are doing, or cannot figure out your location or surroundings, you need to get medical attention right away. You may wonder how you ended up in your current location. Other diseases can cause confusion. It is also a sign of possible mini stroke.

People often dismiss these symptoms because they only last a few minutes. This does not mean that you did not have a mini stroke or that there is nothing to worry about. If symptoms get worse or continue, you could be having a massive stroke." from

My FIL suffered a terrible stroke and he had such episodes which we did ignore.
You DH couldn't remember where you were or what he was supposed to do.

MustafaCake Wed 27-Feb-13 21:19:36

A&E immeditely.

This is not normal behaviour and could be something quite serious.

exexpat Wed 27-Feb-13 21:21:35

Please at least call NHS direct, but I have a feeling that if you describe the symptoms as you did in the OP, they will tell you to take him to A&E.

He may not have all the symptoms of a stroke, but slurring words and confusion are symptoms of stroke and of other serious problems in the brain.

It could be nothing, but it is definitely not normal and could be hugely serious.

Makeminealarge Wed 27-Feb-13 21:22:27

I also strongly suggest this could be a TIA (mini stroke). Further examinations will be needed. He may seem fine but if it is a TIA there is a higher risk of a full on stroke in the near future. New confusion and slurring of words are something that should not be ignored. At least call nhs direct.

Matildaduck Wed 27-Feb-13 21:25:08

Better a short trip to hospital then months of caring for a stroke victim ...or worse.

MrsMushroom Wed 27-Feb-13 21:25:08

Not NHS direct...AandE now!

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 27-Feb-13 21:25:18

Please do something.

My dad presented these symptoms for a few weeks and then had a massive seizure and was then in hospital for a month. He has an amyloid protein on the brain.

Please get him checked out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: