Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma: Don't feel bad enough for AnE but can't get fully on top of breathing

(11 Posts)
ClimbingPenguin Sun 10-Feb-13 16:45:34

My asthma has been causing me problems since Thursday. A few times a day I need to sit out for 30 mins as I'm too breathless to talk etc. Rest of the time I am aware my breathing isn't normal but if I don't do activity then I am OK.

I'm not worried for myself but not sure what to do so I can do my normal stuff.

I never know what to do in this situation, what does everyone else do?

BeaWheesht Sun 10-Feb-13 16:47:20

Do you have inhalers?

In your situation I'd call NHS direct

NettoSuperstar Sun 10-Feb-13 16:47:50

Go to A&E
(Do as I say, not as I do ;))

giraffesCantEatNHSPotatoes Sun 10-Feb-13 16:49:49

Go in - I felt cra\p for days and days, went in and had magnesium drip and atrovent neb and felt better.

They might give you neb at hosp.

Do you have steroids?

MousyMouse Sun 10-Feb-13 16:56:36

go in.
you will feel so much better.
might also be a good idea to book an appointment with the asthma nurse to review your meds.

TeamEdward Sun 10-Feb-13 16:58:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ClimbingPenguin Sun 10-Feb-13 17:00:08

I have my blue inhalers (and my brown ones)

Sounds silly but I view AnE as life threatening (or injuries).

<Summons up willpower to phone NHSdirect>

TeamEdward Sun 10-Feb-13 17:10:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

giraffesCantEatNHSPotatoes Sun 10-Feb-13 17:19:34

go to out of hours or a and e.

Jestrin Sun 10-Feb-13 17:31:03

Do you have a peak flow meter? You should know what readings are good and what you should be doing if they drop. Your asthma nurse should have told you this. Under the circumstances, go to a and e so you can get on top of the problem right now. Afterwards get your asthma reviewed. I have asthma, and I know that if my peak flow readings drop I should be doubling up on my steroid inhaler until the levels go back up. If they drop quite a bit I should be seeing my GP.

catladycourtney1 Sun 10-Feb-13 17:35:03

I would say ring NHS Direct, but they'll probably just send you to A&E or the emergency doctors. Emergency/out-of-hours docs is probably your best bet since you might be stuck waiting in A&E for quite a while (unless you lay it on thick and make out you really can't breathe).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now