Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Adverse effects after MMR - what was your experience?

(16 Posts)
Psychobabble Thu 27-Apr-06 11:50:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

girlsmum Sat 29-Apr-06 20:06:30

Hi, my dd had her MMR 8 days ago and I'm sorry to say she's quite poorly and I can only presume the illness is linked to her MMR.

She has a very high temperature, is off food and has two lumps below her ears in her neck. She is very clingy and upset.

How old is your DS? My DD is 16 months.

CristinaTheAstonishing Sat 29-Apr-06 20:09:09

DD had her MMR yesterday. I was told she might have a fever or rash within 10 days.

girlsmum Sun 30-Apr-06 09:36:50

Hi, just to update - I rang NHS Direct just to double check my dd symptoms and they said she has probably got a mild form of measles and to stay away from pregnant ladies and anyone with a low immune system.

She's still very hot, with a rash and not eating. Very clingy and unhappy.

I just hope she feels better quickly we're going on holiday next week!

hotmama Sun 30-Apr-06 10:10:00

Girlsmum - why did NHS Direct say that re pregnant ladies?

My dd1 had the MMR in Jan when she was 15 months - I was 8 months pregnant with dd2. I asked the GP if I should wait and he said there was no reason as dd2 would be protected and would still have some immunity for a few months after birth.

We are all fine.

girlsmum Sun 30-Apr-06 15:12:10

Because she has a mild strain of measles and it is contagus (spelling?).

This is not automatically being injected with the MMR but only if a child becomes unwell afterwards - if that makes sense?

I also read somewhere that the booster MMR before school is especially for children like my oldest DD who did not react to her first MMR.

Psychobabble Sun 30-Apr-06 19:24:43

Twiglett Sun 30-Apr-06 19:26:15

delayed DD's till she was over 18 months old .. 10 days later she developed pneumonia .. every doctor at pains to stress it wasn't connected .. I still have doubts

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Sun 30-Apr-06 19:47:53

Give her vitamin A- as she's little something like carrot juice with apple juice to make it palatable. Or cod liver oil if you can get her to take it. You can give lots of carrots/apple juice, but don';t give too much cod liver oil (different forms of vit A - the carrot one is ok to take in larger quantities, but you have to be careful woth the cod liver oil one). Also probiotics- something like banana acidophelous (spelling???)- you can get it from health food shops.

If the dodgy bowels continue for more than a few weeks then I can give your more people to contact, but they should sort themselves out before then.

Psychobabble Mon 01-May-06 18:28:28

festiveface Mon 01-May-06 18:37:29

my ds had a high temperature for a week and a rash a week after his mmr. doc said he had a mild form of the measles. no one tells you they are likely to be so poorly. ds was so miserable.
my friends 3 children have never shown any reaction to it at all.
we haven't been for the booster.

mum46 Mon 01-May-06 18:59:06

don't like to upset anyone and I'm not sure it's widely known fact but my daughter, now 18, developed a squint following mmr...luckily sorted now with lots of homeopathy and bates eye exercises, cost a fortune and should have been avoided! I know all things could be worse but it still makes me very angry

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Mon 01-May-06 19:27:52

Glad he's getting better psychobabble- I'd still give him extra carrots and probiotics for a while- neither will do any harm. BTW you can self report adverse reactions now. I think its meant to be used for drugs rather than vax but I'd do it anyway (there was a pilot scheme for vax, but they forgot to publicise it - even local drs didn't know about it).

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Mon 01-May-06 19:28:44

whoops forgot link

reporting adverse reactions

Psychobabble Tue 02-May-06 20:33:37

peppielillyan Sun 19-Jul-15 18:49:48

Hey
I just found that old thread!!!
It is very good that babies are getting fever etc after the Mmr. Well that is a sign the mmr was up to date, and baby's body is fighting against it and as a result will end up with strong immunity against Mmr.
Anyway does anybody know if a squint can be developed after mmr vaccine? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now