Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I need to bother the GP re back pain?

(12 Posts)
MarilynValentine Wed 30-Jan-13 20:12:04

My back went INSANE with pain recently. Lower back pain like you. I went to a Physio which helped a bit but it took three weeks to recover (and it's still not right really).

A friend has just leant me a book about 'The MacKenzie Method' and I've started doing the v simple exercises. It's all about maintenance of certain muscles to avoid future attacks and seems to make a lot of sense.

ihatethecold Wed 30-Jan-13 20:04:22

Tawse. Tell me more. I have awful back ache. I do see an osteopath. Which helps immensely.
I often wonder if I have a bladder or kidney infection because of the ache in my kidney area ( no other symptoms)
I'm always tired. Even though I sleep plenty.
I don't run or anything though

tawse57 Wed 30-Jan-13 18:15:13

Yes, go to an osteopath or a chiropractor. I would go to an osteopath first.

Of course, if the pain continues or worsens then you need to see a doctor.

Do a google for 'adrenal fatigue' also and also 'Rogoff's Sign'. Perhaps you are getting rid of too much salt whilst running and that is straining your adrenals causing the pain?

vigglewiggle Wed 30-Jan-13 11:39:04

Saw the GP. He thinks I have a sprained ligament in my lower back. Thanks for your advice, I will rest for a couple of days and see the Osteo if it doesn't get any better.

vigglewiggle Tue 29-Jan-13 21:22:54

I just tried to sit down and was in agony! I think I will try the GP tomorrow and if I can't get physio sorted quickly I'll try the Osteo.

Thanks all.

Bumply Tue 29-Jan-13 20:42:42

A Gp referral for physio could take months, so if you can afford to pay to see one that's probably more useful. Physio can assess damage and advise on exercises to alleviate the issue and help avoid recurrence

AMumInScotland Tue 29-Jan-13 20:36:10

If it's really seized up, then I don't think just a bit of rest will be enough to sort it. If you can refer yourself direct to an osteopath or physio then you can do that, otherwise I do think its worth the gp to get the process started.

vigglewiggle Tue 29-Jan-13 20:23:54

I'm conscious of the fact that I'm not at work for the next two days so could fit in a GP appointment. I don't want to bother the GP though if it will improve with a bit of rest (kids and dog permitting wink).

AMumInScotland Tue 29-Jan-13 20:13:10

Yes go to your GP - they may at least be able to help with painkillers, and a referral to a physiotherapist. Chances are your muscles have tightened up and will need a bit of help to ease back out again - I had something similar with my lower back / hip and a physio sorted it out just great.

vigglewiggle Tue 29-Jan-13 20:09:06

Thanks. We have a good Osteopath up the road.

ihatethecold Tue 29-Jan-13 20:07:33

Go to an osteopath. The gp will prob just give you painkillers.

vigglewiggle Tue 29-Jan-13 19:56:46

My back seized up after a run two weeks ago and never really recovered. I had to wrestle someone at work a week ago (a legitimate part of my job - honest) and it aggravated my back again. It seemed to be getting better, but suddenly today, I can't stand up straight and I can't walk comfortably. The pain is on the spine, in my lower back and occasionally all the surrounding muscles go into spasm. Should I see if it improves over the next couple of days (before I'm back at work) or should I bother my GP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now