Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Trigger joint?

(6 Posts)
OcotoAlert Tue 22-Jan-13 18:43:25

I have had, for at least ten years, a 'trigger joint' or 'trigger finger' - my little finger flicks or snaps up and down when moved, rather than moving smoothly.

One physio said to strengthen my hands (using stress balls) and it would help.
Another said I would always have it, it could be my 'party trick' hmm

I just wondered if anyone else had similar?! I should add, the physio's I've seen were for unrelated issues, I mentioned this in passing.

Does anyone know if it can be a sign of anything else, if it can be a precursor to arthritis or similar, or whether it is treatable by anything other than surgery? TIA.

carbondated Tue 22-Jan-13 19:00:44

Octo the lady I'm a carer for has problem with trigger fingers. She's nearly 100 though and has some arthritis (unsurprisingly at such an advanced age). A year ago she was given a cortisone injection for the finger that had started causing problems and that sorted it out.

We saw a consultant privately recently as she has 2 more fingers that are doing this now. They gave her a cortisone injection into the fingers again which really helped the fingers move more smoothly but didn't totally cure the triggering.

The consultant said that if the injections didn't have the desired effect, there was the option of minor surgery (local anaesthetic ) to release the tendon and that is very successful. The consultant said the surgery is really quick and simple and you can go home as soon as you want to afterwards (she was obviously quite happy to do it on a nearly 100 year old). You do need your hand bandaged up afterwards though.

CMOTDibbler Tue 22-Jan-13 19:44:53

DH has had trigger finger twice (diff fingers) - once it was sorted with cortisone, the second he had the operation after unsuccessful injections. The surgery took 10 mins, he had a teeny incision, and it worked perfectly immediatly and since.

OcotoAlert Tue 22-Jan-13 20:49:18

Thank you. I've never been offered anything- I thought it was just a "quirk" or something! Oh bless your lady, and your DS too, if they can be brave enough for injections then I can surely give it a go. Am still BF youngest so will wait until we've finished I think (the list of niggly things I need to address is getting longer) I am 30 and 12 months by the way. I think it's been longer you know, at least since age 15 I would guess. Thanks for the info both of you, much appreciated. Even if I am a bit annoyed that I have had this half my life and only today Googled it / posted this and found out there are options! shock

sashh Wed 23-Jan-13 07:59:52

One of mine was like that for a while, as soon as I agreed to surgery it stopped. I do have arthritis though.

One thing a physio had me do was get a great big clump of cotton wool and tape it into my hand (like holding a ball) before I went to sleep so that it couldn't 'seize' in the night

carbondated Wed 23-Jan-13 19:56:33

I def would ask for a referral to a hand surgeon who will be able to either do a cortisone injection or the little op, if your finger is causing you discomfort or is a nuisance. I'm not so happy that some GPs offer injections for things like this/ carpal tunnel etc, because I don't think they necessarily have the expertise necessary to make sure the injection goes exactly where it needs to be. If you get it in the wrong place, then it's a total waste of time because it won't work.

It's a real shame you've had to leave with yours so long on the basis you were told there's nothing you can do about it sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now