Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ingrowing toenail question

(6 Posts)
Shakey1500 Tue 15-Jan-13 20:41:07

I think I've got the slightly painful beginnings of an ingrowing toenail on my big toe. Who do I see? The GP or a chiropodist?

What will they do? Any advice/experience gratefully received

Shakey's Big Toe On Right Foot grin

Shakey1500 Tue 15-Jan-13 21:40:15

Bump, ouch, bump.

balotelli Wed 16-Jan-13 06:52:28

Dont bother with your GP they dont like feet and will be next to useless.

Visit a Foot health Professional/Chiropodist.

the treatment will depend on whats causing your discomfort but rest assured most health professionals are not sadists and will treat your as gently as possible.

Without seeing the problem its impossible to give any advice that would be of much help but until you can get an appt try warm salt baths (no longer than 15 minutes) loose comfy shoes, rest and elevate. Do not try to cut it, poke it, shove cottonwool down the side etc etc. Leave it to the pro's.

Good luck.

Snog Wed 16-Jan-13 07:00:36

I sorted mine out last week by shoving cotton wool or tissue paper between nail and skin
Has worked a treat and I am so relieved. I think if you treat them eay yourself you can avoid nasty treatments later on

RockinD Wed 16-Jan-13 09:37:10

Another vote for seeing a podiatrist. Treatment will be relatively painless.

I had mine treated twice, watched carefully and then bought some professional clippers off eBay and now look after it myself.

Shakey1500 Wed 16-Jan-13 19:35:34

Thanks everyone, will make appointment for the chiropodist. I'm not keen on trying anything myself (bit squeamish when it comes to feet, especially my own grin )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now