Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am I being a hypochondriac?

(7 Posts)
FigaroHere Wed 09-Jan-13 17:20:29

Found a large soft-ish lump under my left rib cage, feel a lot of discomfort on the left side, have a long history of acid reflux, heartburn and been on Omeprazole for the last 6 years.
Anyway, went to see a GP last week as it is not nice to find lumps, asked to be referred for a scan or whatever needed in their opinion privately using my work's health insurance.All I got was "Have no idea what it is but I cant see the reason to be referred to a specialist" , asked another gp who said something like "these people with private insurance end up having too many scans and it is radiation after all" . I was rather thinking of an ultra sound scan TBH, but not sure what to do now as I cant use my insurance without the referral and they are not interested.

Mylittlepuds Wed 09-Jan-13 21:45:34

You should insist. I'm sure it will be nothing. I've just insisted on an US for an underarm lump that was a cyst - thank God - but I was beside myself. You need to know for peace of mind, which is not to be underestimated. But equally if the doctor doesn't know what it is you should be referred without a battle. My GP 'thought' he knew it what it was (he said a swollen gland) so actually he was wrong - and even then he told me "there are no certainties". I'm sorry but with your life you want to be as certain as possible and not be made to feel foolish for that. It's no skin off his nose - even less so with a private health care plan in place. Good luck. I'm sure it's nothing. X

FigaroHere Wed 09-Jan-13 23:55:46

Thanks mylittlepuds , not the first time GP make me feel like I am wasting their time..All I wanted was a referral , in our surgery you have to explain to the receptionist why exactly you need to see a doctor, which is a bit awkward if you calling from work. Not sure how I can persuade them to see me again about the same problem .. but seem strange as how can they decide what is serious and what isn't without a scan? Glad your lump turned out to be harmless X

Mylittlepuds Thu 10-Jan-13 01:48:52

Hi Figaro. At our GPs you can ask for a telephone consultation with a GP. Don't tell the secretary anything! Explain you're in a public place and it's inappropriate. I know what these bloody secretaries can be like. Then just explain to your doctor you're not comfortable with not knowing what it is and need a referral for your health insurance. I wish I could ring for you!

ripsishere Thu 10-Jan-13 06:13:02

Do you think your GP is concerned that it will come out of his budget? Silly arse.
Can you offer to pay for the referral letter? shouldn't be necessary, but could top the balance.
Good luck.

FigaroHere Thu 10-Jan-13 07:33:04

I didn't know referrals cost GP money - in our case its an "open referral" , i.e. the insurance will decide who you see but still need GP to fill the form. Will try again today - somehow it is harder to make fuss on your own behalf - if it was one of my DC or DH - I wouldn't think twice. May be I should not have mentioned my insurance - that seemed to made them very annoyed and dismissive. "These people" .. Ghrrrrrr.

coffeecake Thu 10-Jan-13 14:10:36

They get paid enough too! I would insist if I were you! All the best x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now