Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dodgy hip - who should I see about it?

(12 Posts)
joshandjamie Wed 09-Jan-13 09:29:08

My right hip is the hip I always used to hoist children on when they were little. Rather unsurprisingly, years later, it now hurts, particularly when I do any exercise. It's most noticeable after a run. Despite this, I have just been persuaded to sign up to run a marathon. It hurts if I sit still for a while and then stand or if I drive for a long time and then get out the car.

I really want to get this hip sorted out but have no idea what sort of medical professional I should see. Is it a chiropractor or an acupuncturist or osteopath or physio??

Anyone suggestions gratefully received.

HeathRobinson Wed 09-Jan-13 09:30:45

Start with your GP?

SimLondon Wed 09-Jan-13 22:47:42

I had the same thing and also described it as my dodgy hip and 3 sessions with a final year student at the London school of Osteopathy fixed it - after I'd spent more on one session with a physio which didn't help at all. The tutor also found and cured a pelvic problem which made - erm 'relations with OH' pain-free for the first time since DD was born - and I was thinking it was episiotomy scar tissue that was the problem.

sashh Thu 10-Jan-13 08:51:14

Start with GP and an X-ray.

joshandjamie Thu 10-Jan-13 09:57:51

That's interesting Sim. I've got an appointment with my GP next week - I just don't put a massive amount of stock in what GPs tend to say (apologies to all GPs but I've had many bad experiences with them). Will see what they say. Sim what does an Osteopath do in a session - is it like massage?

lapsedorienteerer Thu 10-Jan-13 22:24:58

My diagnosis (purely from personal experience, no medical backgroundgrin) is Trochanteric Burstitis, it's the sitting/driving description that fits, does it also hurt to sleep on (even opposite side?). I hope you're lucky and catch it early (if it is that). Sadly mine is chronic and I've gone from a very keen runner to dog walker for the last 3 years.......tried everything to cure luck yetsad.

Wolfiefan Thu 10-Jan-13 22:26:31

Do you have any back pain?

lazydog Fri 11-Jan-13 01:29:21

Start with the GP and x-rays. There's a certain condition that I'm currently being investigated for (very unlikely to be the cause, so I won't link grin) that generally starts with hip pain. If it is that, physical manipulation of the hip/lower back area could do more harm than good. You should really get a picture (literally!) of what you're dealing with before deciding on a treatment plan.

joshandjamie Fri 11-Jan-13 12:08:24

thanks all - nope, no back pain. Just in the hip. Lapsedorienteerer - that sounds pants. sad

idlevice Fri 11-Jan-13 12:15:55

I recently had physio for a dodgy hip. It turned out to be a massive weakness in a pelvic floor muscle from having kids etc (not the one you use in normal pelvic floor clenches) so muscles & ligaments around the hip had taken over. It didn't particularly feel like a muscular pain tho. I had to do some very light easy pilates style exercises & it cleared up in a couple of weeks along wtih the physio "releasing the muscle" - not sure what this was, just felt like her pressing really & painfully hard but it did the trick.

I had private cover but you can access NHS physio services without seeing a GP by calling a number which I haven't got anymore but might be on the web or your GP surgery might just give it to you. Hope it gets sorted easily.

ouryve Fri 11-Jan-13 12:22:22

A reputable osteopath or chiropractor would insist you had your hip checked out by a medical professional, first. See your GP and ask for an x-ray and a referral to a physio who can help you avoid hurting your hip again or making it worse, even if not too much damage has been done already. Some musculoskeletal injuries respond well to keeping moving, perhaps in a modified fashion, while others require rest and/or very specific exercises in order for them to recover.

Once you've used up your NHS options, then is the time to seek out a specialist sports injury clinic, because pain like this often ends up recurring, particularly if there is something in your running technique that's caused it.

digerd Fri 11-Jan-13 16:11:33

I had it too, but especially when walking a slight incline, but that hip also has an arthritic knee < not causing me any problems yet>.
Gp prodded me and said it wasn't the hip joint but a "pocket thingy" and precribes me an ibrofen cream and told me not to sleep on that side < I can only sleep on that side and wasn't painful when Idid.
The pain eventually went, but when it returned while I was dancing, I went to local Physio, who said it was Burstitis. After some painful massaging and manipulation, I walked home home pain free and 20 years younger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now