Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS and that moment of panic

(7 Posts)
underthebluemoon Sat 05-Jan-13 22:44:58

I had an attack today, totally out of the blue. I went from feeling fine to feeling very unwell within 10 mins. And I was in a car and felt helpless. Luckily it worked out okay and I got to a toilet. But I was left shaking and with that sinking feeling of what might have happened.
I really thought this problem had kind of disappeared for me, so it feels like a set back.
I am not sure why I am posting but perhaps someone has advice or successful tips they can share?

tabbycat15 Sun 06-Jan-13 02:05:28

Have you tried taking Colofac ( mebeverine Hydrochlodride). I had a bout of IBS years ago & they really helped. You can buy them OTC but you get a lot more in prescription.

Loftyideas77 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:28:08

I 100% identify with what you experienced today. If I have an IBS attack (otherwise known as one instance of diarrhoea) it tends to be after an evening meal. My fear of this happening over the last year has got so bad that I have anticipatory anxiety so bad that I can barely eat sometimes and wake up feeling nauseous if I know I've got to eat out that day. Christmas has been awful, I just panic way too much and am way too tuned into what my tummy is feeling like. I agree with the previous poster about meberverine. It does seem to work and I will take it if I'm having a bad few days- more often for anticipation anxiety about IBS rather than actual IBS but there you go! Good luck and hope you're feeling much better now.

underthebluemoon Sun 06-Jan-13 23:23:08

Thank you both for your responses. Lofty, sounds like you are really suffering, it is awful I know. I will look for Colofac. I am feeling better - I really hope it is a one-off as everything has been so good all year.

TataClaire Tue 08-Jan-13 10:36:45

Mine had been really great fkr ages, but work stress has triggered it again, so really identify with you - it even kicked off when we were viewing someones house with my dp's family....and then the loo wouldnt flush....awkward....

TrinityRhino Tue 08-Jan-13 10:40:07

I so hear you

my 13 year old daughter has also begun to suffer

sad

the nausea that comes with an attack throws me into a panic too (emetophobe)

maudpringle Thu 10-Jan-13 20:27:19

I have found that if I get the anxious feeling,but things have been generally ok, Buscopan cramps can help.
I wouldn't wish that panicky feeling when you know what's about to happen on my worst enemy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now