Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroglossal duct cyst??

(3 Posts)
gypsymummy Fri 04-Jan-13 13:51:32

After this really bad cold, DS who is 4.5, got this oddly large lump under his chin in what is called the mid line of his neck. At first we thought : ok swollen glands because of the cold, then it turns out it is a thyroglossal duct cyst which apparently is congenital. Anyways, he had an ultra sound and a biopsy and the doctor wanted an MRI -although they were pretty sure of their diagnosis- but MRI did not work as DS would not be sedated enough to remain still and I can not tell you how upset he was and how distrssed we his parents were left that day. So, the only way to get rid of this lump is what is called a Sistrunk procedure( basically surgical removal). I have been reading and researching and I am so anxious because of the MRI experience that went so wrong. Anybody out there who can share their own experience with me, advise me, or just think with me about this..should I put DS through more distress with another try at MRI or should we see another doctor and just have him operated on? I would so appreciate your sharing and caringsmile

PeppermintBark Fri 04-Jan-13 18:30:28

I was born with one of these. It was picked up because i looked like I had an adam's apple and I'm female. I never had any type of xray, etc that I can recall, just surgery to remove it when I was about 7. I don't have a very visible scar and I don't think I have ever had any side effects from the surgery as far as my throat is concerned. There was quite a bit of bleeding after, I remember having to have my pillows changed. I don't remember being in a lot of pain after, although I was freaked out by the blood on the pillow!

gypsymummy Sat 05-Jan-13 03:42:20

Thanks Peppermintbar!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now