Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena Coil - I want up to date reviews before I decide.

(37 Posts)
Garnier Fri 04-Jan-13 10:41:17

On tranexamic acid for very heavy periods. Can't leave the house for 24 hours plus each month. GP yet again, recommending this coil. I would if I knew it really helped, but terrified of bleeding even more.

Who has one or had one and would you recommend?
Ta

Sharksandfishes Fri 04-Jan-13 10:48:46

I had one fitted about 3 months ago. Some "streaky" bloody discharge (tmi!) but no bleeding since. Had been having a bit of pmt but nothing out of the ordinary.
Can't comment on the reliability I'm afraid, DS2 is only 5 months and I'm too knackered to consider it! wink

BadDog Fri 04-Jan-13 10:49:38

i am about to go on my third
no other health problems

never had PMT or bad bleeding or owt.

I havent had a period for YEARS

Garnier Fri 04-Jan-13 10:50:15

Thanks, not concerned about the reliability but more about stopping heavy periods iyswim.

Garnier Fri 04-Jan-13 10:51:07

BadDog - did you go on it for heavy bleeding or contraception? Sounds a positive review anyway!

MirandaWest Fri 04-Jan-13 10:51:31

I've had mine in for just over 4 years. Haven't had a period in a long time. Occasionally get very very slight brown blood ie I see it when I wipe myself. Is a very good thing (although I have done more pleasant things than having it put in)

Lottapianos Fri 04-Jan-13 10:52:35

I have always had heavy painful periods, even when on the pill. I had my Mirena fitted nearly 3 years ago and I'm very happy with it. Having it fitted was very painful, but apparently I have a very short sensitive womb which smasms as soon as you look at it so it could be just me. Was sore and bled for 3-4 days after insertion.

Since them, I've had no heavy bleeds at all. I have a very occasional light brown discharge which I barely even need to wear a pantyliner for. Very happy. Not using any other sort of contraception and have had no problems so far thank f***

My GP said it's the most reliable form of contraception going, apart from sterilsation and abstinence. And the hormone dosage is lower than on the pill.
Hope that helps

SPBInDisguise Fri 04-Jan-13 10:52:46

Had ir since early Dec. Have had about a week over very very light bleeding followed by another week of moderate period, followed by a few days of light period. But bear in mind I'm still in my first month. Went on it for contraception.

MotherOfNations Fri 04-Jan-13 10:57:01

I had mine for 4 years before I got so fed up with feeling constantly I'll that I pulled it out myself.
I made an appointment with the nurse the next day to tell her what I'd done expecting her to be shocked but she wasn't in the least bit surprised.
I know many women have no problems with it but I felt ill and bloated the whole time and it caused severe back and joint pains and also aggravated my IBS. I really struggled to control my weight with it in place too.
The thing that sold it for me was the lack of periods but that didn't work for me though they were extremely light.There are many women in America who are in the process of filing a law suit against the makers so it's something to think about.

Garnier Fri 04-Jan-13 11:02:54

So, my dilemma looks as if it may control the bleeding, but then I could get bloated, and pain as I replacement? FFS wish the menopause would just hurry up. Have had my dc, am 48 years old, sick of the whole thing! I could be getting periods for another 4 years plus, and part of me says just battle on to the end and another part says try the coil but with the side effects I could be in a worse situation!

Lottapianos Fri 04-Jan-13 11:04:52

Garnier, if it doesn't work for you, you can have it removed at any stage. There's no way to know without trying it unfortunately.

Garnier Fri 04-Jan-13 11:08:39

yeah you are right. Needs a bit of thought. If I were in my 30's I think I would be more for it. Being nearer the big 50 and towards the end am thinking I could be battling with a coil and actually my periods could have stopped anyway during the 5 years it would be in, you know 6 months down the line they may stop anyway.

Very happy with mine, got it for heavy periods and contraception about 4 years ago, bled more on than off in the first few months (but lighter than previous periods), maybe 1 day a month of spotting, 1 day a year with actual red blood after that, no noticeable side affects. Insertion was painless too.

MotherOfNations Fri 04-Jan-13 11:11:04

I had bother getting a doctor to agree to removing it as when they checked it it was still in position and there didn't appear to be anything wrong.
We're currently ttc baby number 5. I'll be sterilized after that.

MotherOfNations Fri 04-Jan-13 11:13:09

I'm envious of all of you who've had it with no problems as on paper it seemed ideal for me.

awaynboilyurheid Fri 04-Jan-13 20:24:09

About same age as you Garnier now on my third mirena and cant rate it highly enough, I would have had to have a hysterectomy if it hadn't worked to stop heavy periods, I would recommend it you wont have to think about the time of the month again and after having problems all my life that is a huge benefit, it may take longer than 6 months for yours to stop so i would say try it and see how you get on.

greyvix Sat 05-Jan-13 00:46:05

I am 52 and have had the Mirena for a while now, with no side effects. I have had a couple of replacements, and assume it has seen me through the menopause, but don't want to have it removed, just in case! (No periods for years, so it's hard to tell)
My only doubt is it's a mild form of hormone replacement, which I would have avoided.

MotherOfNations Sat 05-Jan-13 12:24:54

Garnier Please don't let me put you off if you think mirena could help you. Everyone else who's posted has had a positive experience.
I was just unlucky and as another poster said you can always have it removed if you discover it's not for you.

smokinaces Sat 05-Jan-13 12:33:45

I had mine fitted due to heavy periods. I would fill a mooncup to overflowing in an hour.

Had it nearly two years. I get spotty a week before I have a small brownish discharge bleed once a month or so. Pmt a touch - comfort eat and teary a week before hand. Nothing major though, and the change on the bleeding front has sold it for me tbh.

Garnier Sun 06-Jan-13 17:11:32

Thank you all, and don't worry MotherofNations, I need all the details, good and bad to make an informed decision! I have decided so far to have a period this month and when it is at its worst consider if more and then book it on the spot whilst I am suffereing. Then I will actually go for it, as afterwards I tend to forget quite how it messed up a few days of my month iyswim

kittycat25 Mon 16-Dec-13 15:33:05

Hi All,

I thought I'd share my coil experiance as there seems to be a lot of negative things online and not much about the positive.

A little background on me, after no longer being able to take the combined pill for medical reasons and considering all the other options I decided the coil seemed the best fit for me. I'm in my 20's and have not had children.

I did a lot of research online and found the negative seemed to largely outweigh the positive, however I decided to go for it anyway.

I won't lie, the fitting was painful, however I have a very low pain threshold and it was super quick! The whole procedure, from inserting the speculum, to removing it and being done took about 3 minutes. It is not long at all and the bad pain is only for 1 minute max. Then I lay on the bed for about 10 minutes as my blood pressure came back up (its normal for the procedure to cause a drop in BP causing you to feel a little light headed) I then had what I would liken to bad period cramps for about 4 hours afterwards but it was nothing too bad at all. I walked straight back to work after it was put in and was able to stay there the whole day, I took some codine and ibuprofen and had a hot water bottle in my lap. I had it put in at 11am and by 5pm I was feeling totally back to normal, the pain had gone, I only took 2 lots of painkillers (10am (before the procedure) and 2pm) and then didnt need anymore. I went out that evening with friends and felt fine.

Since the insertion and initial few hours of cramps I've been totally painfree, I had mild spotting (I only needed a pantyliner it was barely anything) on the day of insertion and that was all, it's now 6 days since and I feel exactly the same as I did before it was put in. Fingers crossed it continues to go well.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering having the coil smile

Millie7 Sun 04-Jan-15 12:36:04

Hi, I had the Mirena fitted for heavy periods 4.5 yrs ago, I have it removed soon and am terrified!!
My periods pre Mirena arrived with no warning were so heavy I was flooding and could not leave the house for 3 days and I don't want to go back to that. I am an athlete so this would severely impact my training and could prove embarrassing!
But after gaining an unexplained 2 stone in weight in just over a year despite eating very healthily (I don't eat carbs due to allergies) so exist on white meat and veg with no sauces etc, halving my portions and doubling my exercise I have been unable to lose even a pound. My hair hasn't grown well in years and is now falling out and I have various other side effects which I think may be linked to the Mirena. All my bloods come back normal and the Drs tell me its nothing to do with it. Please can someone tell me its not as bad as everyone makes out post Mirena removal as I cant take the pill and don't want any other device in my body such as implant etc?

WestEast Sun 04-Jan-15 12:45:36

I had mine put in for irregular but heavy periods as I can't tolerate the pill. I had one big bleed afterwards and spotted for six months. Just a panty liner a days worth though so not bad and not painful. Now a probably have a couple of days spotting 3 times a year. It's honestly changed my life for the better.

HoundPaws Sun 04-Jan-15 13:39:52

How about trying the Cerazette mini pill first? It often stops periods with none of the unpleasantness of a coil fitting. I have been on it for years with no period at all. Easier to stop if it doesn't suit you..

123rd Sun 04-Jan-15 15:42:55

I've been recommended the coil
By my gp due to v heavy periods. On transameic and mefanamic acid. Some months they help. This month,no help what's so ever. The pain I have is sooooo much worse than giving birth(& I had two totally pain relief free births )
But having the coil fitted really scares me. I have read good and bad reports. I don't need it for contraception. And I can't take the pill as it makes me very sick. Tried about 4 different ones , so would the hormone in the coil have the same effect? I wish there was a button you could flick when you were done with periods hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now