Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone with long term dizziness//neuritis?

(4 Posts)

On 3st October I passed out in a shop when I suddenly became horribly faint and dizzy. Followed it up with weird heart stuff, very weird neuro stuff.

I have been off work since thensad I have had blood tests, and an MRI brain scan to rule out brain tumour (clear thankfully)

The doctors do not know what has happened.. have 'best guessed' some sort of virus that has attacked my nerves. Tried loads of meds with no success. Currently I am left with severe incapacitating dizziness, and what appears to be peripheral neuropathy in my left arm, slight weakness in left leg and horrid pins and needles in my hands. No one knows why.
I can deal with the neuro stuff, but the dizziness is terrible...even moving around the house is difficult. I also NEED to go back to work as we need my earnings.

Has anyone experience a long term condition where severe dizziness is a problem? If so how do you cope? I am really worried now and scared about the future as it all seems a bit grimsad

roundabout1 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:53:10

Hi poor you, especially with the whole range of symptoms. I have suffered with dizziness for the past 4 years. Mine started suddenly with what gp thought was a sinus infection, terrible dizziness, spinning & vomiting. i have inner ear damage on one side so have suffered dizziness & nausea since as well as trouble judging perception/distances, problems with flourescent lights , fast moving tv etc. It did get better & day to day I manage fine but avoid driving as I can't trust my judgements & I find busy environments hard. I find it difficult travelling long distances in a car as the world feels as if it is moving for days afterwards. What meds have you tried? I use them to get through tough times & car journeys etc but not day to day. The idea is that you have to retrain your brain, there are VRT exercises that you can do, sadly they made mine worse possibly because there is an uncontrolled migraine element added to the mix. I dont want to depress you that I haven't recovered completely, apparently it is unusual not to recover, if not 100% recovery at least 95%. For my dizziness to stabilise it took a good 6-12 months, & with every year I would say the symptoms decrease very slightly. They flare up if I do too much or if I am ill though.

perfumedlife Tue 01-Jan-13 23:11:35

www.b12d.org/content/clinical-assessment-and-common-symptoms Might be worth having your B12 levels checked, although the current blood test isn't terribly useful. Your symptoms sound like mine and I was deficient thanks to being on omeprazole for two years - the lack of digestive acid means the body can't extract the B12 needed from food.

DragonDrawers Wed 02-Jan-13 18:22:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now