Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Burns - ouch! How long do they take to heal up?

(7 Posts)
minxthemanx Fri 28-Dec-12 13:34:34

Spent Boxing evening in A & E after a boiling cup of tea was knocked over me (poor DS1, it was an accident, he bumped into me) - large burns across top of thigh. Large ugly blisters, and God was it painful. A&E wrapped it in clingfilm then eventually cut the hanging skin off and put dressing on - I'm about to go to our practice nurse to have dressings changed. Anyone had similar - how long do these things take to heal? It's weeping through the dressing so I'm not looking forward to having it changed. hmm

decktheballs Fri 28-Dec-12 13:59:01

I have no idea, sorry. Just wanted to say ouch! And I hope it's less painful for you soon

minxthemanx Fri 28-Dec-12 14:02:54

Thanks deck, I could not believe the pain! I'm so glad it went over me and not the kids. I was crying - it was bldy agony. Poor, poor children that get burnt in fires etc, unimaginable pain. Thankfully A&E gave me some strong painkillers as soon as I got there, and I have learnt that you should cover a burn in clingfilm.................

LargeGlassofRed Fri 28-Dec-12 14:21:15

I dropped a pan of boiling water down my leg a few years ago, it took about 6 to 8 weeks to heal, really painful, you have my sympathies sad

minxthemanx Fri 28-Dec-12 17:25:24

Thanks largeglass - have just come back from having dressing changed. That didn;t hurt, as they'd put a special burns dressing on which is sort of gel filled, so it hadn;t stuck. But I was really shocked by the sight of the wound! Huge area of raw, weeping, bloody flesh. It looks awful. Have to go to nurse every 2 days for dressing change for the next fortnight, and she gave me a tetanus jab. Thank God it wasn't the children. shock

Moominsarehippos Fri 28-Dec-12 17:31:39

Owyowyow. Burns tend to get a little worse before they get better - so you'll get a red scab growing over the damaged skin that will drop off eventually. Try to keep it as dry as you can.

I keep burn gel all over the house as I am always singing myself on the cooker or iron. Is genetic - my mum always had burns on the hands and arms too.

wildirishrose Fri 28-Dec-12 18:13:00

Ohhh sounds awful. Once its a bit better try to get some silverdeen cream and use it every day (they might give you some at the hospital, plastic surgeons use it) also keep the burn out of the sun for at least a year. I hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now