Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sebaceous cyst 2.5 inches - time to get rid?

(15 Posts)
speckledpig Wed 26-Dec-12 20:47:56

I have had this cyst for years and it has been slow growing and non painful (although it does itch at times and go red/a little painful if I lean on it.)
It is on my back near the shoulder blade.
Anyway past few summers I have been aware of it and had to wear tops which cover it, which is difficult to do sometimes.
It is measuring in now at 2.5 inches across and 2.5 top to bottom.
I know they only remove them usually if they are causing problems but do you think it is considered big enough now to be removed even if not causing any symptoms?
I usually forget about it until I look in the mirror and see this great ugly lump staring back at me!

mercibucket Wed 26-Dec-12 23:32:21

It won't be removed by my health authority at all, no matter the size, as it is cosmetic. If you have a friend who is willing, you could DIY it, or pay private, but it's not cheap. Youtube's got some good DIY vids

mercibucket Wed 26-Dec-12 23:32:21

It won't be removed by my health authority at all, no matter the size, as it is cosmetic. If you have a friend who is willing, you could DIY it, or pay private, but it's not cheap. Youtube's got some good DIY vids

pugsandseals Thu 27-Dec-12 02:31:19

Go see your doctor. See my previous thread as I'm currently suffering from a rupture of one that big. Mine is being treated on the NHS (just under my boob on bra line). If yours is anywhere near your bra you should get treated without a problem. I have also had one removed from my face in the past. Take my advice, get it seen before it gets infected - INFECTED CYSTS ARE HELL ON EARTH!!!

speckledpig Thu 27-Dec-12 10:09:51

Thats what I thought merci. I don't really want to risk DIY ing it.
pugs, I had a friend who had one get infected and that is what made me start thinking of it. They said it was discusting and v painful. Not really near the bra line but if it gets any bigger it will start touching the strap to the side. (its just by the shoulder blade)

moondog Thu 27-Dec-12 10:12:49

DIY vids???!!
<faints>

speckledpig Thu 27-Dec-12 10:32:50

sad

mercibucket Thu 27-Dec-12 10:35:29

yup, diy vids are the way forward. my gp has also given me some tips!

legoboat Thu 27-Dec-12 10:38:32

I had a large one on my neck that they removed for me on the nhs. The doctor did some cunningness and said he wanted to have it tested, even though it had been there for years getting bigger and bigger and it obviously wasn't dodgy. But this worked and they took it off at the hospital in a few minutes. It was quite awesome really as they had to take a big lump of skin too because of it stretching the skin and I spent ages looking at it in the pot afterwards. It was totally cosmetic but every single person I met would end up staring at my neck when talking to me as it got very big.

speckledpig Thu 27-Dec-12 10:46:02

I guess if the NHS won't fund it they have to expect people to try and DIY it though!
Lego, that sounds awesome and gross all in one! grin

MaryAnnSingleton Thu 27-Dec-12 14:24:52

don't DIY it,that is foolish and you'll risk infection,plus the whole sac needs removing.
Am very lucky that my GP will do the surgery - so it's very easy and no waiting.

mercibucket Thu 27-Dec-12 15:09:46

Clever idea, lego's GP!

mercibucket Thu 27-Dec-12 15:09:46

Clever idea, lego's GP!

speckledpig Thu 27-Dec-12 19:30:56

I wouldn't be able to do it myself anyway as I wouldn't be able to reach it and there is no way I am going to let my DH loose on it!

mercibucket Fri 28-Dec-12 10:41:13

I forgot! have you tried antibiotics? mine is half the size or less after3 weeks of antibiotics for something else unrelated. I only noticed a few days ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now