Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heartburn top tips?

(11 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Dec-12 12:07:19

As a rule I don't suffer with it. Did during both pregnancies many moons ago but that's about it.

Since then very occasionally i will eat/drink one thing which will set it off and then find it difficult to get rid off if that makes sense.

So yesterday I had a glass of wine (which is normally ok) and straight away I got heartburn, and even now nearly 24 hours later I still have it. It's not agony, just annoying, and makes me worried about eating anything.

Is it just a case of chewing the Rennies?

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Mon 24-Dec-12 12:11:42

or Gaviscon. To a point anyway. If its more than occasional get your GP to prescribe Omeprazole or Ranitidine. Makes all the difference.

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Dec-12 12:13:46

Thanks Bah. Bit fed up now all the Christmas food has arrived and so has the heartburn. sad I remember glugging Gavison when PG-you are right it was good. smile

EdwiniasRevenge Mon 24-Dec-12 12:15:40

Sometimes it is caused by Candida infection at the bottom of the foodpipe if its a night time thing. Taking antacids can make it thrive cos less acid.

When I stopped taking gaviscon it went away.

Worth thinking about.

BahSaidPaschaHumbug Mon 24-Dec-12 12:16:00

nip into tescos for a big bottle later and a straw Thats what i'm doing.

Also, sit upright to digest, don't wear tight waistbands, eat smaller portions but more often.

confusteling Mon 24-Dec-12 16:44:27

Rennies or gaviscon, plus if it becomes a problem PPIs to help (prescription meds though). Milk can sometimes cool the tummy but can stimulate production of more acid later.

Also loosening tight clothing, sitting up straight, not hunching over, lying straight with minimal pillows. Eating slowly, chewing food til it's easy to swallow, avoiding chilli/spice/grease/very fatty food/very citrusy stuff and tomatoes. Eating as well only until you are full gives the tummy more room to digest comfortably.

When I've had really bad bouts (I occasionally get it to the point of crying/vomiting) I've been put onto 48 hour recovery diets of bread and butter, clear soup, bananas, rice and boiled pasta and root veg.

In bed it's good to til the bed up, but not the mattress or pillows, you want the top to be straight, but the bottom to be tilted. So for example you can place a couple of big books under the head end, to let gravity do it's job. Pillows don't work because you are lying like this \_ with the tummy being squished, so acid can leak out more easily..

confusteling Mon 24-Dec-12 16:46:32

Like you need to have the whole bed like this \ as opposed to just the top .. I'm confusing myself lol sorry!

gingeroots Mon 24-Dec-12 16:47:55

Asda ,Saisburys etc sell packs of 12 x 75mg ranatadine tablets for a £1 .

They're labelled indigestion remedy or something like that .

Sparklingbrook Mon 24-Dec-12 16:57:52

I have Rennies and Gaviscon. smile confuste your bouts sound awful, thanks for the tips.

AuntieMaggie Wed 26-Dec-12 22:22:08

Sip coca cola - the proper stuff... don't ask me why it works but it does.

Sparklingbrook Thu 27-Dec-12 09:59:25

Really Auntie? I will give that a go too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now