Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had prolapse repair and bladder sling/tape surgery

(12 Posts)
Elkieb Wed 19-Dec-12 23:22:51

I've seen my doctor today and have been given the go ahead for surgery to repair my knackered bits after giving birth to my 9lb 13oz DS. Tried physio which left me with a sore fanny and not much else!

Has it worked for anyone? How did it work? Am bricking it now.

Elkieb Thu 20-Dec-12 06:33:20

No one else then? hmm

frequentwee Thu 20-Dec-12 07:47:44

Come over to the proplase thread. I am a very new poster on the thread having been diagnosed with a cyctocele, no treatment plans yet. There are very many supportive women on the thread who have experienced different surgical treatments.

Elkieb Thu 20-Dec-12 22:17:49

Thank you, will have a look. I'm looking forward to not buying tena lady and coughing without worry. Roll on April/May!

BackforGood Thu 20-Dec-12 22:23:58

It's great. I had what they called a TVT (basically a sling) coming up for 4 years ago. Fantastic difference - only wish I'd known it was a possibility sooner.

Elkieb Fri 21-Dec-12 11:09:09

That's what I'm going to have- how was the recovery afterwards? Am worried about picking up my DS and driving etc.

BackforGood Fri 21-Dec-12 11:43:24

I was knocked about a bit by the aneasthetic, tbh.
The hospital signed me off for 4 weeks and I thought I'd be fine after a few days, and then just be a lady of leisure for 3 weeks, but I did find I needed that time, but I think it was just my body thinking "wow, I can relax now" after years of never having 2 mins to sit down, and not actually anything to do with the actual sling.
Sorry, can't comment on the picking your dcs up, mine were too big for being picked up when I had mine done smile. Driving I left for a couple of weeks, but then had no urgency to rush it.

Elkieb Fri 21-Dec-12 17:01:55

Sorry to ask so many questions, but were you dry straight the way? I'm pleased that the prolapse is going to be done as I hate the way that it looks, but being incontinent makes me feel horrified by the whole thing.

BackforGood Fri 21-Dec-12 17:05:26

Yes smile

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Fri 21-Dec-12 17:09:16

I'm wondering if I need something -what did the physio do? My doctor said she'd look down there next time I went but I've been to nervous to go.

BackforGood Fri 21-Dec-12 17:40:20

The physio gets you to do pelvic floor exercises. Apparently, a large % of women who do actually think they are doing them / have done them, aren't doing them right. They put a sort of probe (that sounds bad, think of it as a small tampon grin) in, which is wired to a computer, and you can see on the screen when the right muscle is working. Absolutely no idea how it works, but it really is very clever, and it teaches you how to make sure that you are doing the exercises properly. The physio tells you what to do as well, obviously, but this kind of 'proves' the right muscle is being exercised.
I think some people do get offered "weights" to help them - again, I think we are talking about tampon sized things here, not dumbells grin. Sorry to be a bit vague - this was all about 5 years ago or more. A lot's happened in my life since then!
The physio sees you for a few weeks and then sees what progress is / isn't made. There are still other options (such as medication) after that - it might not be surgery.

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Fri 21-Dec-12 18:09:01

Thanks. I've seen a pelvic floor exerciser advertised on here and was half wondering about trying that before going back. Its such an embarrasing problem to have.

I'm quiet overweight too wchih I'm sure isn't helping sad

It is all rather odd down there since the (traumatic) birth....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now