Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS...How do you deal?

(11 Posts)
PrincessSparkle86 Wed 19-Dec-12 19:25:27

HEy all,

just been diagnosed with IBS, doctors prescribed colofac to be taken 20 mins before meals,my tummies been on and off! It started because i was so anxious waiting on some important test results :-/

Anyways has anyone got any advice etc? I know i need to find my triggers and eat little and often... so far bread, pizza and pasta dont agree with me!

x

ohforfoxsake Wed 19-Dec-12 19:28:43

Since adopting a low-carb diet I don't suffer at all any more. I would recommend trying it for a week and see if that helps. BIWI's threads on here are helpful, but generally stay off refined carbs, flour, pasta, sugar, fruit and fruit juices etc and see how you go. smile

PrincessSparkle86 Wed 19-Dec-12 19:33:11

Thanks ohforfox i was low carbing doing BIWI's bootcamp for a few months and then i had a few health issues an wasnt really focusing in the way i was eating! After christmas i shall be having an overhaul again! X

bangersmashandbeans Wed 19-Dec-12 19:37:23

Taking peppermint tablets made a huge difference to me.

DP has it. He still hasnt really worked out what his triggers are as they seem to vary. But the colofac really helps if you be strict and remember to take it.

Fatty foods and dairy are affecting him at the minute. Asdas smart price cheese had him in pain for days.

He says beans hurt too. But cereals help him, so maybe try fibre? Water also helps.

Definately dont skip meals. Thats really one thing that affects him.

Sorry if you know all this. smile

Yep, I take colpermin at the first gurgle.

BIWIshYouAMerryChristmas Wed 19-Dec-12 19:42:52

Hello Princess! My IBS flares up when I've been eating too many carbs - especially wheat-based foods like bread or pasta. I didn't realise this until I started low carbing to lose weight. It was a very unexpected (but very welcome) side effect.

MsElleTow Wed 19-Dec-12 19:45:00

I have IBS. I take Colofac Modified Release which are longer acting than regular Colofac so they suit me better. I, also, have a stash of peppermint oil capsules.

It is important to find your triggers. I can't eat cheese, pizza, green peppers, raw onions or spring onions to name a few. Croissants leave me in agony. I can't eat a sandwich or something at lunchtime of we are out,because getting up and getting on with stuff straight after eating leaves me with really bad colicky pains.

I am always worse just before my period too!

Try keeping a food and symptom diary for a month or so to see what tips you off.

SledsImOn Wed 19-Dec-12 19:45:50

Could you maybe be coeliac? It's worth looking into.

lifeistooshorttodrinkcheapwine Wed 19-Dec-12 23:58:22

i take aloe vera pills daily - it soothes the digestive system. i keep a daily record of what i eat and can highlight triggers - its certain foods like wheat, sugar and yeasty foods for me and things with preservatives and flavourings in them like monosodium glutamate also its worse if i'm stressed or nervous about anything. Sometimes i can eat these things and i'm fine - it can calm down or flare up but its not always easy to pinpoint why.
it helps if you feel more in control of it - when i didn't know what it was i'd thinK it was everything - contstipation, PMT, trouble with my ovaries, hernia, etc, and my worrying about it made the symptoms worse

PrincessSparkle86 Thu 20-Dec-12 21:57:07

Wow thanks all for youre advice, i do have a tendancy to skip meals sometimes so ill try avoid that... And i agree too many carbs defi dont agree! Ive just bought some wheat and gluten free pasta today so im gona give that a go! What is coeliac?? X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now