Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Uterine Cancer

(19 Posts)
CharlieBoo Wed 19-Dec-12 14:45:50

Hi, my mum was diagnosed with this cancer yesterday after a biopsy was taken during a D and C. We are obviously all in complete shock. She is due to have MRI scan on Friday to see if it's spread. We are praying it hasn't as she went to the drs the mor ing after her first bleed. She is 66 and in good health other than this. She is due for a hysterectomy first week of Jan. can anyone give me any positive vibes/ stories/ info. You hear cancer and immediately think the worst. Thanks

digerd Wed 19-Dec-12 16:10:54

Sorry to hear about your mother. I had bleeding after the menopause and had a Hysteroscopy, which I think is what your mother had, and I was in my 50s. But they found nothing each time. The cancer is likely to be confined to just the womb, unless she had had it for a long time without symptoms. Did she have any other symptoms before the bleeding?

CMOTDibbler Wed 19-Dec-12 16:40:52

I've met a lot of ladies with endometrial cancer, and it is very, very treatable.

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Wed 19-Dec-12 16:43:55

My mum had this (I think!) several years ago. It was contained within the womb, had not spread and was sorted by a hysterectomy and radiotherapy.

CharlieBoo Wed 19-Dec-12 17:12:34

Well she had first symptoms about 6 weeks ago... Just bleeding, that's the only symptoms she had. She then had an appointment to have ultrasound and while there they did the Hydteroscopy and took a sample. They could see a few polyps on the ultrasound but nothing else, no mass etc. they did a biopsy and that was fine. She then had to in for day surgery 2 weeks ago where they removed the polyps and took some more samples from areas they opulent reach previously. This is when a biopsy has shown cancer. Hysterectomy planned ASAP after the Xmas period. Just so worried can't think of anything else. Thanks or your replies. It's good to talk. L x

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Wed 19-Dec-12 17:26:48

That sounds pretty much how my mum's diagnosis went, with the only symptom being post-menopausal bleeding. She was in her early 70s.

Try not to worry.

digerd Wed 19-Dec-12 17:34:42

Good luck for your mother on Friday that it has not spread. It is most unlikely, but fingers crossed anyway.

HilaryM Wed 19-Dec-12 17:41:40

Macmillan are a fab resource here:
www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Wombuterus/Wombcancer.aspx

Sparkles23 Wed 19-Dec-12 18:29:03

My mother had this about 6 years ago, she was early-mid 50s at time and had some bleeding and went to the doctors about 6 weeks later and at the time she was worried that she had left it quite long but the doc said 6 weeks is nothing ( some people sadly leave it months/year) was v early and good she went so soon, she was referred for tests and they didn't like what they saw, so got her in for hysterectomy a few weeks later and it was only after the hysterectomy they confirmed it was cancer of the lining of the womb (before couldn't be sure but said defo pre cancerous) and looked quite an aggressive one but the hysterectomy got it all and was confined to womb as she went so early. They were debating whether to do radiotherapy but felt in her case really not needed. This was all nearly 7 years ago and she's been absolutely fine since. They did 3 monthly checks for first year, then 6 months and now after 5 years think its yearly (though I may not have that right) but the docs were absolutely fantastic and the main thing is your Mum went quickly so hopefully caught it nice and early too. Hope all goes well and she recovers quickly x

CharlieBoo Thu 20-Dec-12 23:14:02

Thank you for all of your comments... It's just a waiting game now, which is the worst part.

LaFlotte Fri 21-Dec-12 07:52:26

My Mum had this last year. She waited longer to be diagnosed because doc seemed to be sure it was anything but cancer. Even though she took a while to be diagnosed, her treatment was a hysterectomy and not even any radiotherapy. Very curable so try not to worry. Hard I know, but honestly it sounds like it has been caught early. Try and enjoy your Christmas. X

CharlieBoo Fri 21-Dec-12 12:11:54

Thanks LaFlotte... That sounds promising.. We have everything crossed and are praying it's going to be straightforward. X

Elibean Fri 21-Dec-12 21:32:39

Just to add....I once talked to a gynae (in Germany, admittedly, but can't be all that different!) who said she'd never, ever, in her whole career had a patient die from uterine cancer. Its very very treatable, as CMOT says smile

And it sounds as though your mother has done all the right things, nice and fast. Good luck, any cancer diagnosis is going to feel very shocking - but hopefully she will be reassured fast.

CharlieBoo Sat 22-Dec-12 13:30:38

Thank you again for everyone's input. I keep looking on google and seeing survival statistics and what thy are compared to what grade and staging of cancer etc... I think I need to step away from google as at the minute we don't know ny of this and I'm just tormenting myself. My mum said he nurse said they can see the cells are changing? What does this mean? I am encouraged by the first biopsy being clear, so hopefully it hasn't penetrated the womb too much. I'm going to keep adding snippets of information to this thread just for me to vent. My beautiful mum, it's so unfair... But we'll beat this thing.

DoesntTurkeyNSproutSoupDragOn Sat 22-Dec-12 13:36:27

Step away from Google smile

My mum's radiotherapy was, IRC "belt and braces" and not strictly necessary. She bounced back and you'd not know she had been ill (which I guess she wasn't really - there was no illness at all)

Yogagirl17 Sat 22-Dec-12 22:26:12

My mum had it a number of years ago. She was early 60s, treated with hysterectomy and radiotherapy. Very few side effects & she is completely fine now. Wish you and your mum the best of luck. x

CharlieBoo Tue 25-Dec-12 23:14:02

Hi, merry Christmas to you all!

A quick update. My mum had some great news yesterday, the results from the MRI scan has shown that the cancer is contained to the womb and hasn't gone through to the muscles or surrounding area. Just waiting on a date for the hysterectomy now. We are so pleased that hopefully this will mean a positive outcome.

digerd Wed 26-Dec-12 19:56:43

Great result. Merry Xmas and Happy New you to your family

CharlieBoo Tue 08-Jan-13 20:14:10

Hi, quick update... Mum saw the oncologist today and is booked in for hysterectomy in 2 weeks time. She has grade 2 uterine cancer. It has really hit me today and I'm very tearful, it suddenly seems real!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now