Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constant cough for 2 years

(8 Posts)
Clara35 Mon 17-Dec-12 19:39:01

My mum has had a cough for 2 years. She won't go to doctor. Scented candles, perfume, paint makes her worse. If she talks for too long she will start coughing & can't take a deep breath in. Anyone any words of wisdom? I'm trying to convince her to go to doctor.

NatashaBee Mon 17-Dec-12 19:46:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiredteddy Mon 17-Dec-12 19:50:37

My mum has had a chesty cough as long as I can remember. She has always self medicated and never gone to the doctor. She finally went to the doctor about 18months ago who said she has late onset asthma and dust allergies. They swapped their bedding from blankets to duvet. Bought a good Hoover. She has inhalers and uses them and rarely coughs at all now.

Clara35 Mon 17-Dec-12 19:52:03

Thanks natashabee she doesn't smoke but has a cat although we always had cats. I wondered about asthma. Can you develop it at any age?

Clara35 Mon 17-Dec-12 19:54:21

tiredteddy that sounds like mums cough. Think she's scared of doctor as has herself convinced its something sinister.

smee Mon 17-Dec-12 20:07:13

is she on any medication? My mum has a cough and apparently it's a reaction to the drug she's on.

tiredteddy Mon 17-Dec-12 20:11:53

I just think my mum thought she always had a cough, then a cold, then a bad chest and on the cycle went. It sounded like catarrh so she didn't think of asthma. She used to use a steam inhaler thing all the time then a Vicks one. It was like fads of over the counter medicine. I'm not sure what finally made her get checked out I think it was something unrelated. It's much better now though. She used to refuse to even go for a walk with my dc. So simple hope your mum gets checked out and is ok.

EllieArroway Mon 17-Dec-12 20:18:24

Could it be post nasal drip? Does she clear her throat a lot? I have PND and I cough all the time, although it's not particularly chesty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now