Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallstones

(6 Posts)
Afsana1 Sun 16-Dec-12 11:05:10

I had a scan on Friday due to years of pain and they found out I had gallstones and quite a lot of them. I have read about going on a low fat diet. I would be grateful for any advice regarding this thank you xx

AllSnowballsAndNoKnickers Sun 16-Dec-12 16:28:30

Yep - you have to more or less drop fat from your life at once. Not easy - but I did find that once I had made the connection between fat in my food and pain it became easier. In fact my case was so far gone that almost any food set me off a bit and pre-removal I lived on bananas, ReadyBrek and skimmed milk. Are you scheduled for gallbladder removal?

Afsana1 Sun 16-Dec-12 17:03:24

Thank you for your reply. I have to wait for the results to go back to my dr. I've been suffering with this pain for years so I'm going to try the low fat diet I just think its going to be hard because as an Asian we live on curries so it's gonna be very hard. Is it food with less than 5g?

Zippylovesgeorge Sun 16-Dec-12 18:39:42

Yep less the 5g of fat smile

It does work and has got mine under control.

Sticking to it now so I can hopefully relax over the christmas period.

MoreBeta Sun 16-Dec-12 18:45:17

Afsana1 - yes going low fat, no spices, no alcohol is OK as stop gap but you need your gallbladder out. It will not get better - only worse. Trust me on this.

Do not be fobbed off by your GP, get a consultant appointment and get it taken out.

LonelyLinda Mon 17-Dec-12 10:07:12

Hi there

Also, get some very strong painkillers in and take them at the first sign of an attack. At one point I literally thought i was having a heart attack before I was diagnosed.

The things that set off my attacks were cheese, alcohol and curries.

Having it removed was the only solution, the op was less than an hour and very straight forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now