Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

please shut my DH up - coughing related

(17 Posts)
DecktheHallswithTroughsofBolly Fri 14-Dec-12 00:41:05

I have always suffered very badly when I get a chest infection; I had whooping cough for an extended period when I was 14.

When I get a really bad coughing attack my chest seems to spasm, I can't breathe and then I vomit. DH says that this is my fault as I "stick my tongue out" and that if I did not do this I would not be sick. This evening I coughed and coughed until I had cleared all the contents of my stomach. The vomiting only stopped when I had literally puked everything up. He implied that it was my fault that I had been sick due to "coughing wrong".

Quite clearly this is absolute bollocks. But I need something to permanently shut him up, more than "stfu you tw*t"

DecktheHallswithTroughsofBolly Fri 14-Dec-12 00:51:36

Actually having just looked at pertussis on NHS direct I think I am probably still getting whooping cough

TanteRose Fri 14-Dec-12 01:06:41

you poor thing sad

are you sure its whooping cough and not asthma?
Asthma also causes vomiting

the vomiting is caused by muscle spams, not whether or not you stick your tongue out hmm

and obviously its not something you can control by doing it "right" hmm

your DH does not know what the frigg he is talking about

HTH smile

and hope you get better soon - I think a trip to the doctors is in order

DecktheHallswithTroughsofBolly Fri 14-Dec-12 01:52:31

I don't have asthma symptoms at any other time - although I did have childhood asthma; DD was prescribed an inhaler when she had a particularly nasty chest infection - I used it a couple of times when my chest was really bad and it did seem to help so it might be worth a trip to the GP. Hadn't thought about asthma

TenPercenter Fri 14-Dec-12 02:18:09

I think it could be asthma too. I had it as a child, it then went away and resurfaced after having ds1, I lived in a damp mouldy flat and also after any kind of cold had a permanent cough. I ended up on 3 different inhalers, although it then went away again when we moved for a couple of years.

Think it's come back again though, maybe dust related blush my housekeeping standards are not high.

It's really odd though, I never seem to suffer with a proper cold, have half hearted symptoms for a day or so, then go deaf and cough my lungs up for the forseeable hmm.

Do you actually have a chest infection atm? Do you have anti b's for it?

NatashaBee Fri 14-Dec-12 02:27:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 14-Dec-12 02:32:02

My asthma presents as a cough too.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 14-Dec-12 02:32:30

Sorry, pressed post too soon - meant to add it does sound asthma-ey to me.

digerd Fri 14-Dec-12 15:47:17

OP
I remember years ago, that a friend's daughter had a terrible cough and was making her sick. I did find this yucky, but GP said her daughter must bring up the phlem and spit it out and not let it go into her tummy.

gingeroots Fri 14-Dec-12 20:54:12

Blimey ,I'm not sure I could tolerate an attitude like that from my DP .

Isn't huge sympathy in order ?

Pleaseputyourshoeson Wed 02-Jan-13 13:06:56

Just curious as to whether the op did get a diagnosis from the doctors. I just went this morning and was told I have Whooping Cough. It's miserable. I was so surprised it's still possible to get it. Fortunately my children have been vaccinated so they won't get it. I've been coughing till I choke/vomit since mid december and I'm fed up with it. Hopefully the antibiotics will help with the sinuses and the cough will begin to subside soon. Does anyone know of any other adults with WC, is it going around at the moment? I'm guessing I must have caught it from the kids' school but don't know. I live in London.

digerd Wed 02-Jan-13 19:57:44

No, I don't. But it's called Whooping cough as that is how the cough souds.
I remember DD getting Measles and Chicken Pox when very young, but don't remember Whooping Cough. < long time ago>. I never got the Measles myself as a child, but got the German measles quite often. Never got Measles from DD though.
I live just outside North London.
Hope you recover soon.

PigletJohn Wed 02-Jan-13 20:49:17

It comes in waves, some years apart, as immunity fades away. This is going to be a bad year (you may have heard about the extra efforts to protect newborns). It is largely preventable by vaccination and numbers of cases and deaths are vastly lower than they were before it was available. Apart from Antivaxxer families, and those who are found to be medically unsuitable, most youngsters are immunised now. It can be very bad, or fatal, especially in small children.

The cough lasts a long, long time and can be debilitating. I understand the Chinese call it "the hundred-day cough"

Immunity lasts a limited period, in the 10-20 years range, so having been inoculated as a child may not make you immune now.

Pleaseputyourshoeson Fri 04-Jan-13 09:38:50

I would do anything to make it go away, I dread to think what it must be like for children. The suffocation in a coughing fit that then ends in retching or vomiting is scary and I am left completely shaky and exhausted. They seem to be fewer but my sinuses are giving me wicked head and tooth ache, my eyes really hurt from the coughing and my back and chest. I am trying not to cough as I'm so damn tired. I'm trying to breathe in from my nose rather than gasp for the air. I'm having bouts in the day where I feel ok, but first thing in the morning, and at night when I go to bed it starts again. I'm not sure what the clarethromycin (sp?) is doing though I hope it's ridding some mucus. Supposedly making me less infectious. The doctor didn't really say much as I only had a short slot. On the plus side, I'm losing weight! :-) calorie burning those coughs or the fear of eating in case it makes me vomit.

Tinkerisdead Fri 04-Jan-13 09:47:07

I'm convinced I've got w/c too. In the day I'm mostly ok other than the odd bout but at night I'm coughing and gasping. I'm sick but initially it's like foamy thick saliva all stringy foam. Once that's gone I sick my food up. I've been to the docs and they just said "your chest is clear" and "this is just a snapshot in time". I feel like I'm suffocating to death. I've got docs again Monday as I'm a bit concerned about being contagious etc but how do I get the doctor to take it seriously. My dd who's 4 had similar and she's into month two but she was given extra inhalers but having watched whooping cough on YouTube etc I'm certain I have it.

Skang Fri 04-Jan-13 10:19:44

Sorry I'm no doctor and have no experience, but your DH is talking complete nonsense. Does he think there are lessons on how tO cough properly? If what he said was possible there would be people across the world throwing up in the street every time they coughed incorrectly.

gingeroots Fri 04-Jan-13 10:48:38

PleasePut and TheDoctorsWife that sounds absolutely dreadful ,you have my heartfelt sympathy .

Doctor's - you have to make GP understand what this is like and what it's doing to your life .

The only thing I can think that might help is steam .

All my sympathy .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now