Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to remove super-sticky Tegaderm plaster?? How??

(7 Posts)
Scootergrrrl Mon 10-Dec-12 18:21:48

DS, who's 2, had an op last week which has left him with one of those big, see-through Tegaderm plasters on his tummy. I assume it has to come off - not been told so by the hospital but I think it must have to! - but how? It's like it's attached with superglue and every time I try to tug a corner, DS has a meltdown. Any tips and tricks for easy removal? We're abroad so we can't just pop into Boots or somewhere in case anyone suggests magic wipes or something. Thanks in advance.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 10-Dec-12 18:32:40

Soak it with loads of water? Either in the bath or keep sponging it.

TeaBrick Mon 10-Dec-12 18:34:02

Baby oil might dissolve the glue if you have any? Or olive oil?

wentshopping Mon 10-Dec-12 18:37:21

DD3 has a lot of taping done, which is stickier than a plaster, but not a duct-tape level of stickiness. Her occupational therapist took it off with regular moisturising lotion, which works a treat. I just massage the lotion over the plaster and very soon it just peels off.

hedwig2001 Mon 10-Dec-12 18:50:56

Tegaderm is designed to come off by stretching rather than lifting.
Pull a corner sideways, it will stretch and unstick. Also give pain relief a while beforehand.

XBenedict Mon 10-Dec-12 18:52:36

Was going to say what hedwig has posted, stretch sideways working from one corner rather than pulling off like a plaster.

Scootergrrrl Mon 10-Dec-12 19:19:19

Top tips - thank you ladies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now