Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aciclovir and flu vaccine

(13 Posts)
BeginningtoffeealotlikeXmas Fri 07-Dec-12 12:33:22

I have just had my flu jab, but I also have a cold sore starting, for which I would normally take Aciclovir tablets. As they are anti-viral, I'm not sure if they would prevent the flu vaccine working properly. I asked the nurse, but she didn't know either and just suggested I read the packet info (but it doesn't refer to vaccinations at all).

I don't want a cold sore, especially at this time of year. If I don't take the tablets, it will last at least 10 days, I will look like a medieval peasant and there will be no point dressing up for any parties sad.

On the other hand, I had pneumonia earlier this year and I don't want any more illnesses, if they can be prevented.

MousyMouse Fri 07-Dec-12 12:40:11

the smpc (the scientific information) for aciclovir doesn't mention vaccines as contraindication

which vaccine did you receive, maybe you can look up this info for that as well. it does seem to be able to take both.

BeginningtoffeealotlikeXmas Fri 07-Dec-12 12:44:43

Thanks, Mousy. I have no idea what vaccine I received though. I just know it's the latest flu jab. How would I find that out?

MousyMouse Fri 07-Dec-12 12:53:03

I think I received Fluarix
no mention of antivirals here.
maybe call the antiviral company (phone numbers should be in the package leaflet).

BeginningtoffeealotlikeXmas Fri 07-Dec-12 13:31:32

Thanks for your help, Mousy.

bigbluebus Fri 07-Dec-12 13:41:43

DD had Shingles recently and was on Aciclovir, so I delayed her flu vaccination - not because I was told of any interaction or reduction in effectiveness of the drugs/jab, but just because I thought it best to wait until she was well again before having the jab.
I would speak to your local Pharmacist, who may be able to advise, possibly in one of those big pharmacies where they do flu jabs.
Is it not possible to treat the cold sores with Aciclovir cream instead of the tablets?

BeginningtoffeealotlikeXmas Fri 07-Dec-12 13:42:23

I've phoned them, they put me through to their medical information team and they are going to phone me back.

BeginningtoffeealotlikeXmas Fri 07-Dec-12 13:46:52

The cold sore cream isn't as effective as the tablets, bigblue. They actually stop the cold sore appearing if I catch it early enough.

seoda24 Fri 07-Dec-12 14:14:00

I cant answer your question but am currently taking those tablets for heroes around eye.do you find them good?i am not noticing a difference to be honest.just a depressing swollen eyelid / i look fab...

seoda24 Fri 07-Dec-12 14:15:11

Sorry i mean herpes around eye, not heroes!

BeginningtoffeealotlikeXmas Fri 07-Dec-12 15:37:20

seoda - yes, I find the tablets really good. The cold sore either doesn't appear or disappears in half the time it normally would. I wish I had known about them years ago, as the over-the-counter creams are not nearly so effective.

How awful for you to have herpes round the eye. I hope the tablets work soon. Maybe you need to do something else to reduce the swelling as well (ice pack, maybe?).

The drug company phoned me back, but basically read me the same information that is in the leaflet about Aciclovir. Then they said I should check it with the pharmacist to be sure!

Popped to the pharmacist this afternoon and she said that the tablets and the flu vaccine were dealing with different viruses, therefore it would be ok to have both at once. Result!

Can now face Christmas parties without a bag on my head grin.

Thanks for your help, Mousy and bigblue.

seoda24 Fri 07-Dec-12 15:44:54

Ah that great.I too phoned doctor and was told to start the tablets straight away.hope they will work.glad you are finding them successful.thanks again hope we will be coldsore free for christmas!

BeginningtoffeealotlikeXmas Fri 07-Dec-12 16:35:16

Yes, let's hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now