Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Being tested for ovarian cancer

(8 Posts)
chuckieegg2008 Tue 04-Dec-12 19:05:44

Last tuesday i went to my gp as i had a dull achey pain in my lower right abdomen. He examined my stomach and couldnt feel anything he thought it was just a strained muscle. He agreed to do blood tests as i was feeling tired and drained (probably through lack of sleep as i couldnt sleep through worry!)

On thursday i went for my blood tests, he explained that i could possibly have an ovarian cyst and i told him that my mum had ovarian cancer so it was in the family, he told me that my blood would be tested for ovarian cancer.

My bloods results are back now and my gp wants to see me on thursday, im scared about what has been found. sad

Has anyone been through this who can offer me some advice?

Gigondas Tue 04-Dec-12 19:10:09

Not ovarian but soft tissue cancer- and there are lots of us on the tamoxifen thread who have had various cancers (mostly breast) so do join us (its in general health) for handholding and advice.

Waiting for test results is worst part as it is fear of unknown- however it may not be cancer. And if it is you will be referred quickly and put on treatment quickly. This may sound terrifying but doing something and knowing the worst (unthinkable though it may seem) does feel
Better .

I have a friend with advanced ovarian cancer - she is doing ok after some years despite a fairly grim prognosis.

LilyPickle Tue 04-Dec-12 22:07:10

I had Ovarian Cancer 2 years ago and I am still here to tell the tale. Luckily mine was very low grade but within about 3 weeks of getting blood test results I was having a hysterectomy.

It is a horrible, horrible waiting game and I was absolutely convinced I would be given a death sentence but I am now in the best health I have probably ever been.

I am pretty sure though that other things show up on your bloods so you may be worrying over nothing. Even getting a higher CA level doesn't necessarily mean cancer. Mine was luckily caught by a very vigilant GP - all I went for was heavy periods and bloating, thinking I would be put on the pill!

Best of luck.

Elibean Tue 04-Dec-12 22:59:12

Not been through it for ovarian cancer, but literally just been through it for bladder cancer. Waiting is just awful, you have my sympathies and another hand to hold if you need it.

Just wanted to say that a close friend's mum had ovarian cancer, and friend was called in to see doctor after tests just like you have been - it turned out the doctor just wanted to offer the opportunity to enrol on a special check-up programme for close relatives of OC patients. It came into my mind when I read your post - please don't assume your GP wants to see you to tell you bad news! (well you probably will - I would - but doesn't mean its true, iyswim)

And furthermore, I have a feeling ovarian cysts mean raised CA levels too - so its true: even if CA is raised, it just means referral for an u/s. The odds are very much on your side, even with family history, for cysts rather than cancers.

Finally....if it was me, I'd probably be on the phone to GP surgery to say they're giving me grey hairs and please can they see me quicker wink

Wishing the very best, xxx

Elibean Tue 04-Dec-12 23:01:00

ps meant to say - I don't have BC, as it turns out. But have just had a week of wondering if I did, and the memory is more than fresh in my mind. Will be thinking of you.

ellargh Tue 04-Dec-12 23:11:57

I've never had ovarian cancer but I didn't want to read and run. Ill be thinking of you.

Gigondas Wed 05-Dec-12 07:46:47

Elibean's post reminded me that it was a blood test that picked up my sisters ovarian cyst so may be that (she is fine now btw).

digerd Wed 05-Dec-12 12:35:07

My daughter had a cyst on an ovary, and it was detected by an ultra sound. They were pretty sure it was a cyst and not cancer, and told her to wait 6 weeks, and then they looked again and it had reduced to a dot - so not cancer.
I know 2 women who did have ovarian cancer, and the common sign was a swollen stomach - not with wind, but fluid One did have pain and GP thought it was just painful periods, but when her stomach looked as if she was 6 months pregnant, it was suspected. Only about 25% experience any symptoms of OC, and they are the lucky ones to be caught in the early stages.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: