Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cannot bear to swallow my saliva..

(12 Posts)
Earthymama Mon 03-Dec-12 23:21:39

it hurts so much!
I have had a virus for 2 wweeks. Since last Thursday my throat is inbelievably painful. I dread swalllowing saliva, drinks etc etc.
Any tips for a chance at sleeping tonight?
(I will go to doctors tomorrow but have been away for the weekend to a pre-booked festival)
Please help. I have tried
gargling with salt water
lemon and honey, ginger drinks
ice
olbas/vics/ lavender/teatree inhalation
OTC drugs, pastilles, lozenges
Neat Jim Beam.
nothing works and I have had a hell of a hangover but need to work tomorrow if I can.
Please help!sad

Earthymama Tue 04-Dec-12 08:14:39

bump

freakazoidroid Tue 04-Dec-12 08:32:31

Antibiotics? Why did you go to a festival of you were poorly? I have been in bed all weekend with tonsillitis and am still ill ,

botandhothered Tue 04-Dec-12 08:35:55

Agree with freak, you need antibiotics. Hope you feel better soon!

gingeroots Tue 04-Dec-12 09:07:42

inhale steam ?

Earthymama Tue 04-Dec-12 11:35:57

I had to go to the festival as I had booked with friends who wouldn't have gone if I didn't. I only missed two bands through feeling poorly. luckily the accomodation was warm and cosy.

I tried inhaling lavender in steam and it has helped. I am going to the doctors later.
Thanks for replying

PackItInNow Tue 04-Dec-12 13:14:02

It probable that the virus you had is still in your system, in which case, AB's will be useless.

It will probably take its time getting through your system, besides, I've known myself to have the remains of a virus for the best part of 8 weeks with a painful sore throat.

The best thing to do is to try and ease your symptoms as much as possible by using lots of strepsils, plenty of water to stop dehydration, Glycerol and/or honey and lemon. You can use paracetamol and Ibuprofen as well for pain relief.

Hope you get better soon.

nellyjelly Tue 04-Dec-12 13:16:22

Gargle with soluble aspirin. Don't swallow but spit. It reallyworks.

BallyGoBackwards Tue 04-Dec-12 20:43:24

Soluble Solpadeine. It is the best. Unlike Nellyjelly, swallow.

sleepyhead Tue 04-Dec-12 20:54:19

I've found Vicks Chloraseptic throat spray to be good in the past for temporary relief from a really sore throat. It contains a local anaesthetic.

amillionyears Tue 04-Dec-12 20:56:54

Lots of orange juice daily for a few days. But it may take a day or two before your throat feels a lot better. Hope the doctor was able to help you out.

nellyjelly Wed 05-Dec-12 20:25:43

Don't swallow if you have already taken paracetamol or ibuprofen. That is what GP told me anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now