Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

finished antibiotics but still getting the side effects

(15 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Wed 28-Nov-12 22:10:36

when will they stop??

last tablet 48hours ago but still can't face food

I made lunch today, sat down to eat it but couldn't force myself

I want food!!!!!!!

digerd Thu 29-Nov-12 18:12:33

I and my sil both had bad intestinal problems from Metronidazole, and after the 5-day course, side effects carried on for another 5 days.

Meglet Thu 29-Nov-12 18:17:21

Same here, it 2/3 days for them to really leave my system. I rarely get to the end of anti-B courses (which I know is wrong) as I end up on the loo and unable to eat. Not sure why my body doesn't tolerate them.

sausagesandwich34 Thu 29-Nov-12 18:19:28

that's not what I wanted to hear digerd! lol

no toilet issues thank god but still not eating

well that's a lie, I've had 2 pieces of toast and a slice of not naice ham today

digerd Fri 30-Nov-12 18:02:17

OP It was only Metronidazole that had this effect - is this what you have been on?

digerd Fri 30-Nov-12 18:18:57

PS. I had no toilet issues other than going every 2 hours, but a normal motion, and ate normally, but lost half a stone in 10 days. Overweight sil was disappointed she didn't lose any weight, and she had sickness and the runs.

OK on other ABs.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 30-Nov-12 21:09:08

clarithromycin

still not eating.......

digerd Fri 30-Nov-12 21:23:28

I think there was another post complaining about how ill they made feel.
Haven't taken those myself.
Last ones I took were 11 months ago, and called Clindamycin, but was warned I must drink lots of water with them and I was OK, but this other OP did that with hers but didn't work. Hers gave a horrible metalic taste in her mouth while she was still taking them.

Why so many new ABs have horrible side effects, don't know. Years ago they were fine.
Oh, one comment said she was taking Metronidazole and she was fine. But it's on my list of "allergies" and will never take them again. There's always an alternative.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 30-Nov-12 21:32:13

that was me

moaning is my special talent grin

BRANdishingMistletoe Fri 30-Nov-12 21:35:15

Do you have a health food shop nearby? Someone recommended Udo's Choice Super-8 to me after taking anti-biotics and it did help me.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 30-Nov-12 22:10:32

ooo not sure, it's not the type of shop I usually look for but I'll have a wander tomorrow and see what I can find

BRANdishingMistletoe Fri 30-Nov-12 22:24:17

shock Not the type of shop you usually look for? But where else would you buy your Japanese green tea (because Chinese just won't do), or your SLS-free shampoo and shower gel, or vitamin E oil to get rid of wrinkles, or a host of other totally necessary items. shock

sausagesandwich34 Fri 30-Nov-12 22:25:47

you are right -I shall hang my head in shame

BRANdishingMistletoe Fri 30-Nov-12 22:29:13

grin

digerd Sat 01-Dec-12 11:04:37

sausage
I always say a good old moan does you good - gets it off your chest , like a bad cough !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now