Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH - abdominal pain and weight loss

(6 Posts)
LeonardoAcropolis Tue 27-Nov-12 13:39:48

Hello, I am rather worried about my DH. He won't visit the GP ('too busy') and I have made the massive mistake of googling his symptoms:

He's 36 and generally fit and healthy however he has had a vague abdominal discomfort for approx 18 months in the lower right area. He had seen the GP back then who put it down to IBS. He had no diarrhoea or constipation.

However, this weekend he developed a backache which is not muscular and he describes is like having been punched. He has lost about 10lbs in weight however I'm not sure how quickly he has lost that.

Of course, Google's top searches are for cancer. He's not in the right age bracket for colon cancer, however it does happen in younger people and I'm terrified.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I will try and get him to GP but I'm at home with 12month old DS and no one else to talk to.

cafebistro Tue 27-Nov-12 13:45:24

Could be any number of things.
My ex dp had similar symptoms and was misdiagnosed with stomach ulcers. It turned out he has Crohns disease and had to have an op.

digerd Tue 27-Nov-12 13:51:15

I know a few people who have had bowel cancer, but they have all had bloody diarrhoea. One was diagnosed in his 40s with IBS by GP. I do not know their exact symptoms of pain or where it was. One older man had no symptoms and was picked up with the new screening.

He must have more tests - a colonoscopy or and barium meal.
His weight loss is the most worrying to me.
Crohns disease is another possibility.

You must get him to go back to GP for a referral.

LeonardoAcropolis Tue 27-Nov-12 14:33:12

Thanks for your replies, forgot to mention that he describes his bowel movements as occasionally 'moussy'. He does say that his weight loss could be down to pressure at work and not having time to eat all of his lunch (but he is not one to get stressed or feel the pressure) and also I am cooking less potato and pasta meals and more rice. But that is a significant weight loss.

I am so scared.

digerd Tue 27-Nov-12 15:44:31

Of course you are scared, especially with your 12 month old baby.
Is the GP aware of his weight loss ? When my husband was ill I went to GPs with him and I told him what was wrong as DH was reluctant to say much.

Do you have someone who could baby-sit for you ?

LeonardoAcropolis Tue 27-Nov-12 16:16:27

Did your DH have bowel cancer too? Is he ok?

Not aware yet, we only realised the weight loss on Sunday. When he comes home tonight I will tell him I will book him in at the GP tomorrow. I don't think he'll want me there, but I will offer and I will make sure he tells GP everything, I may write a list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now