Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

iron levels and the immune system

(8 Posts)
shithappensx1000 Mon 26-Nov-12 13:17:14

Long story short ... 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with IBS (nothing too horrific). Had blood tests. Last week I was told my iron levels are on the low side (I'm now trying to up them through diet rather than iron tablets).

Anyway, my question...
Does having a lower iron level affect the immune system? It's just that I'm trying to shake off a cold and it's really hit me for six. Normally, I get rid of a cold in three or four days. I'm now on the sixth day and I'm going to have to take tomorrow off work too.

MousyMouse Mon 26-Nov-12 13:21:43

yes it does.
vit d,b12 and iron are often the main culprits for feeling tired and low immune system.

singingmum Mon 26-Nov-12 13:22:36

Strangely have just been on nhs website as have low folate levels which apparently is why I'm anemic.
It says on there that yes it can lower the immune system. It can also cause headaches, tiredness, tinitus and other symptoms all depending on what type you have. The immune system and headaches seem to be all types.

shithappensx1000 Mon 26-Nov-12 13:53:30

Thanks, better eat some leafy green vegetables and dried fruit (vegetarian as well, so that doesn't help).

RooneyMara Mon 26-Nov-12 18:23:19

Have you tried something like Spatone or Floradix? Those are very very effective at getting your iron levels up, if they're not absolutely on the floor.

shithappensx1000 Mon 26-Nov-12 18:44:35

Are they over the counter remedies? Or from prescription? My level is just below 10, so it's not terrible.

RooneyMara Mon 26-Nov-12 18:53:15

Oh you're not at death's door yet then smile That's 'mild' anaemia. Should be easily sorted. (I was veggie for 15 years, wish I still was, it was a good thing)
I'm 34 weeks pregnant and my iron was 8.7 four weeks ago - now up to 9.6 with two sachets of spatone a day. It is really kind to your digestive system, unlike the tabs.

You can buy it in Asda chemist or Boots or anywhere like that, it's not that cheap but I tend to get it on 3 for 2 offers etc.

shithappensx1000 Mon 26-Nov-12 19:01:51

I've been veggie for over 20 years. That's why the doctor was happy with me to try to up it by altering my diet a bit. I just realise this cold has been so difficult to shake off. I've got plenty of energy - run 3 or 4 times a week, work full-time etc.
Thanks for the advice - I think I'll try some, just to perk it up again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now