Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it usual to get side pains when you have a UTI?

(16 Posts)
FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 15:18:08

I tested positive for a urinary tract infection today - blood and protein in urine, but not a huge infection, just mild. But I've been having side pains towards the back, where my kidneys are for a week or so. Is this just a normal symptom of a UTI? I assume it hasn't spread to my kidneys or the infection would have shown up as a bad one wouldn't it?

hellymelly Wed 21-Nov-12 15:23:26

Are you on antibiotics now? I've had a terrible kidney infection recently that was worse I think because I'd mistaken it for a tummy bug. I think if you are having kidney area pain then you do need to whack it on the head with antibiotics rather than doing more low level things to clear it. Rest as much as you can. Hope you are better soon.

FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 15:25:02

Yes I am fully stocked up with antibiotics! Doc recommended after I finish this course that I take one every time I have sex for the next six months. Seems odd to me, but I have had several UTIs this year so maybe it will help.

FeuDeRussie Wed 21-Nov-12 15:25:16

And thank you helly smile

hellymelly Wed 21-Nov-12 23:12:07

UTIs are horrible. I have had a couple in the past two years, and now this mega infection. I never got them when I was younger at all, so I hope this isn't the future now! (am in my 40s). Get your urine checked a week after the end of the course to make sure it has cleared, and take probiotics daily afterwards as they can help ward off UTIs .

FeuDeRussie Thu 22-Nov-12 09:52:34

I didn't know that about probiotics, thanks helly. I hope you're over your infection now.

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 22-Nov-12 09:53:44

Yes I get a period pain type feeling with a UTI,

Sleepwhenidie Thu 22-Nov-12 09:57:09

Yes, normal. It may well be affecting your kidneys but if you are on ab's already they will hopefully sort it. If you don't feel better then make sure you go back, some infections only respond to certain ab's but gp won't know for sure what type required til test results come back from the hospital, in the meantime they will take best guess.

weegiemum Thu 22-Nov-12 10:00:21

Flank pain can be a sign of pyelonephritis (kidney infection). Worth at least phoning the doc (I'm a veteran of this!!) you might need different antibiotics. Did doc just dip your urine or has it been sent for culture?

Dont take anything else while on the antibiotics, but do drink loads (of water lol). If pain gets worse, or spasmodic (like contractions) then phone doc immediately or go to A&E. Kidney infections can get very bad very fast and also produce kidney stones if you're very unlucky!

Hope you feel better soon. Ibuprofen is better for kidney type pain than paracetamol, and keeps your temp down for longer, but you can take both if you need to.

TheWombat Thu 22-Nov-12 10:03:41

OP your dr is right about the preventative AB's. I've been hospitalised 4 times with severe kidney infections, and since taking a tablet each time after sex, I've had no problems. I'm quite anti taking ABs unless absolutely necessary, but its such a relief to be pain and kidney infection free.

I think the current ABs should clear your symptoms up quite quickly so if the pains start getting worse after another 24 hours or so, contact your dr again.

FeuDeRussie Thu 22-Nov-12 10:08:56

Thanks all! I'm starting to feel better already after only a day and a half of ABs. I'm also anti taking too many ABs, but haven't had them very often all over the course of my life so it should be fine.

Doc didn't say he was sending my sample for culture, though he did do last time when I had an infection a few months ago. But I think that was a worse infection.

Good to know the side pains are pretty normal - they weren't unbearable, just very rather irritating.

BertieBotts Thu 22-Nov-12 10:18:38

They are common, but should be checked out as they can be a sign that the infection has spread to your kidneys.

FeuDeRussie Thu 22-Nov-12 10:24:59

Can you have the kidney area pains without the infection having spread to your kidneys?

TheWombat Thu 22-Nov-12 18:34:51

Just checking in to see how you're getting on OP..

BertieBotts Fri 23-Nov-12 08:58:11

Maybe if you have history of it, but if it's the first time I don't know. I get kidney area pain every time I feel run down, overexert myself or drink too much now blush Went back to doc about this but he said there's nothing wrong so I've accepted it as one of those things, but if I get ill feeling with no cough/cold symptoms or a temperature alongside the kidney pain then I'll get it checked out.

FeuDeSnowyRussie Fri 23-Nov-12 17:26:36

Thanks TheWombat, that's very kind of you. I'm feeling much better today, though felt awful yesterday evening!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now