Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

anyone had a 'LEEP' after long term adnormal smears?

(6 Posts)
purplerainbow Wed 21-Nov-12 12:46:46

2 years ago i had my smear and it came back as abnormal, had biopsy and was told i have hpv and CIN1. Every 6 months iv had to have the smears aswell as biopsys and has always stayed the same. I was told my immune system would probably fight it and id be fine, just have more regular smears. At my last appointment last week i told my consultant my aunt had just been diagnose with full blown cervical cancer and was in hospital that week having hysterectomy. I know it is not hereditary, but said i was scared for my health and that it wasnt any better. She agreed and has told me in couple weeks to go in and she will do a LEEP. Has anyone had the cin1 last that long and not gone away on its own? Also how bad is the process and what will i be like afterwards? Im a single mum to 2 small ds..

purplerainbow Wed 21-Nov-12 18:47:40

bump

purplerainbow Thu 22-Nov-12 11:24:28

somebody?

Delatron Thu 22-Nov-12 14:51:23

Hi purplerainbow,

Not exactly the same situation but I had my first smear at 26 where they discovered CIN III. Even then they said the cells 'may' turn cancerous in 10 years or so. I had the LEEP procedure and I don't remember it being too painful, as they use local aesthetic it was less painful than the colposcopy! Recovery wise I think I took a few days off work and was slightly sore but nothing major. I didn't have kids then though.

I wouldn't see it as a bad sign that it has been CIN 1 for so long, it is great they have been monitoring you and good that it hasn't progressed. Sometimes the body just can't get rid of the virus for a while. Hopefully the procedure will put your mind at rest.

Sorry to hear about your aunt, I hope she makes a full recovery.

purplerainbow Fri 23-Nov-12 18:43:08

thanks for replying, i had given up! Iv had smears regular like clockwork since i was 21. Never had any problems. Just abit concerned its not gone as my consultant said my body shouldve fought it by now. I know this could be SO much worse i really do, but i feel like a ticking time bomb and just wish it would be over.

Delatron Fri 23-Nov-12 21:43:23

Hopefully you'll feel more reassured after the procedure. I have had clear smears for the 10 years after mine and it does help when they start coming back as normal.

Good luck with it, hope you have a quick recovery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: