Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Any dentists around?

(26 Posts)
helpyourself Tue 13-Nov-12 16:22:54

I've had a tooth out, it's very painful but I'm posting because I seem to have a hole there. I can draw air into my mouth through it! Also very runny nose. Does that matter- does it mean the gums damaged? Upper third one from back.

gingeroots Tue 13-Nov-12 17:18:32

Sounds scary .
Can you phone dentist ?

helpyourself Tue 13-Nov-12 17:31:43

Thanks ginger, I've just called. It is what I thought and I'm seeing a dental surgeon tomorrow. Ow ow ow.

gingeroots Tue 13-Nov-12 17:56:46

Goodness .
What is it ?

helpyourself Tue 13-Nov-12 18:13:22

The roots of the tooth are next to the sinus and in --bashing about there--taking the tooth out, she's 'broken through' into the sinus. It's a horrible feeling- sort of bubbly in my nose and around where the tooth was. Am now dosed up with solpadeine and ibuprofen. sad

helpyourself Tue 13-Nov-12 18:15:29

Actually grin as the painkillers are working!

Whodyanickabollockoff Tue 13-Nov-12 18:20:54

ooooh oooh Mr peevley.

That sounds painful .My thoughts are with get your self a little hot bot,hottie,hotwater bottle and curl up in front of the tv .I will be ok .gently bite cotton wool if it continues to bleed.I love mums net its like actually asking your mother something

gingeroots Tue 13-Nov-12 18:28:28

Oh no .

I really am sorry for you ...but confess I'm anxious that this is going to happen to me .

What is dental surgeon going to do tomorrow ...?

helpyourself Tue 13-Nov-12 18:34:31

Thank you both! It's very comforting to have someone to scare tell. Apparently tomorrow they might stitch it and give me antibiotics.

helpyourself Tue 13-Nov-12 18:34:54

Thank you both! It's very comforting to have someone to scare tell. Apparently tomorrow they might stitch it and give me antibiotics.

Whodyanickabollockoff Tue 13-Nov-12 19:00:11

I feel paranoid now for starting a thread earlier and didn't get many replies i think i scared everybody away too much info aboput my dental work .Do you work for mumsnet and are just pointing me in the right direction.Thanks for the nudges and hints (I get yer drift)

gingeroots Tue 13-Nov-12 19:01:59

Glad the painkillers are helping .

I also have an upper third from back tooth ( pre molar ? ) and am due to have attempted root canal through a gold crown on Monday .

Though dental hospital say think root is cracked and dentist says not sure if can do root canal because of calcification .

Guess won't know until he tries ( gulp ) . Hospital also say that my sinus is very low and near tooth .

It flares up every now and then and has been very painful today .

I hate ,hate ,hate my teeth .

Whodyanickabollockoff Tue 13-Nov-12 19:06:31

ok calm down , i believe you.I'm very sorry to hear it gingerroots.It sounds jolly painful.the quicker you get the work done the quicker it will all be over and then you will feel better i hate having missing teeth, they are a right mare but my plate looks jolly smart.If i can help you out with any advice don't hesitate to get in touch.I'm here

Minimammoth Tue 13-Nov-12 19:32:16

Ooo I am having some difficulty with this very same tooth myself. Nerve inflamed apparently but tooth pretty sound. Have been advised to take anti inflammatories and wait and see. Am allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen. So agony. Any pain relieving tips anyone.

gingeroots Tue 13-Nov-12 20:37:53

Mini I wonder what is meant by "nerve inflamed " ?
Could it be infected ,might you need antibiotics ?
Altho I think I've read that they don't do much for a nerve that is dying ( like mine ) because ( i think ) there is no blood supply .

I really do think we're better informed about general health than dental stuff .

Anyway .... I see you can't take anti inflammatories so I guess it's paracetomol and codeine .
And I don't know what else to say ....oh you could look for paracetomol with caffeine ( lots of the brands add it ) or take it with a caffeinated drink like coke or coffee . I think the caffeine increases effect of painkiller and it also constricts blood vessels .

Perhaps there will be more help along the way .
Maybe start a new thread ?

helpyourself Tue 13-Nov-12 21:38:39

Mini clove oil really dies work, although its strong and can 'burn' the skin.
I took solpadeine and ibuprofen at 6, so I'll take one of them as late as possible and hope for a good night!

Minimammoth Wed 14-Nov-12 05:57:23

Thanks for the help. Have got clove oil it's good but not long lasting.Dentist says there is no infection, but I am not sure. Thanks for the tip re coffee. Good luck for today helpyourself hope you had a good night.

ptangyangkipperbang Wed 14-Nov-12 06:16:14

Anbesol was a lifesaver when I had an abscess. It's a liquid that you apply directly to the affected tooth or gum. It saved my sanity.

helpyourself Wed 14-Nov-12 07:46:38

Thanks for the tip re Anbesol. I'm definitely going to insist on talking through pain relief/ poss antibiotics before I leave the dentist this am.
Last night I went to bed without any more pain relief and was up at 3 for some Nurefen. It's ok ATM. Still 'sealed' and I'm not poking around to see if the hole's still there.

gingeroots Wed 14-Nov-12 09:07:46

helpyourself you can buy time release ibroprufen which lasts 12 hours ,I took some at 3 last night ( this morning I guess ) and have just topped up with paracetamol .

good luck this morning and let us know how it goes .

helpyourself Wed 14-Nov-12 10:41:25

Seen dentist and have heavy duty antibiotics and an appointment to have it 'cleared' when it all calms down in a fortnight.
ginge and any other 'scared lurkers' please don't let this put you off. It's my fault for not hot footing it to the dentist when a filling came out. I even had a hygienist appointment after the filling came away and was pleased with myself he hadn't noticed. blush
What a plonker I am!

gingeroots Wed 14-Nov-12 11:20:36

Oh I don't know - there's so much "it's my fault " around teeth ( and it's very much how I feel ) .
But we don't really do that about other health issues do we ?
Well not to the extent we do about teeth .

helpyourself Wed 14-Nov-12 11:29:29

Just don't be put off by my experience and delay!

gingeroots Wed 14-Nov-12 12:00:05

mmm well ,there's already been an 18 month delay .
dentist kept insisting pain was from sinuses .
he eventually referred me to dental hospital for x rays ,orginal referral not made/not received ,wait of another 3 months for second referral ,so it goes on ,won't bore you with other details .
but Monday I have an appointment for an attempt at root filling .
No idea what will happen if it's not possible .c

mushroom3 Wed 14-Nov-12 12:21:12

Hi gingeroots, I had a chronic sinus infection above tooth in the same position. The infection caused partial nerve death. I was told it was the partial nerve death with much associated inflamation that caused the problems. My dentist wouldn't touch the tooth with a bargepole, as he thought it could be cracked and had calcification. I got referred to the dental hospital to do it and it was a success smile.
good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now