Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lower respiratory tract infection.

(9 Posts)
alistron1 Mon 12-Nov-12 13:01:48

DD1 (16) was diagnosed with one of these in Friday. She started on amoxicillin. There's been no massive improvement tbh, still ill, still coughing and today complaining of a sore tight chest.

Took her back to docs today (diff one to Friday), he conceded that she looked ill, and noted that she is poorly perfused abd has a rapid pulse. However he reckoned that her air entry sounded fine and the crackle dr 1 heard in her left lung on Thursday has gone.

So basically she's sitting here looking grey, not getting any better and apparently there's nothing else that can be done.

Would it be worth me trying to see another Dr or is today's chap correct?

LadyMaryChristmas Mon 12-Nov-12 13:06:41

3 days isn't a long time for antibiotics to work. I'd give it a few more, then take her back.

alistron1 Mon 12-Nov-12 16:08:53

I'm just concerned that she's not getting enough oxygen! She's never been as ill as this before.

LadyMaryChristmas Mon 12-Nov-12 17:12:37

If her air entry is OK then she should be taking in enough oxygen. It's best to pop her back to your GP if you're worried, with the best will in the world Mumsnet isn't a doctor.

I hope she's on the mend quickly.

alibobins Mon 12-Nov-12 17:38:15

To be honest I think I would take to her to A&E did the gp check her oxygen levels?
Sometimes the chest can seem clear through a stethoscope but actually be full of gunk. I really would get a second opinion.

alistron1 Mon 12-Nov-12 18:13:31

I take the point that mumsnet isn't a dr. She's had over half her course of anti b's and is still pretty poorly. The dr didn't check her O2 sats, and with hindsight I should have asked him to. I think if she's like this in the morning we'll go back again.

dikkertjedap Mon 12-Nov-12 20:49:14

Usually you expect to see a marked improvement after 24-48 hours of antibiotics.

It could be that she is on the wrong antibiotics. LRTI is basically pneumonia.

I think you should take her to A&E to measure her oxygen levels and have a chest X-ray.

GPs are not good with diagnosing and treating pneumonia, although there are exceptions. Pneumonia can be life threatening.

If they decide on stronger antibiotics and prescribe erythromycin then insist on clarithromycin (newer, more expensive but clinically better antibiotic which only needs to be taken twice in 24 hours with fewer side effects).

Seek an expert opinion, not GP!

dikkertjedap Mon 12-Nov-12 20:51:10

In the meantime you could do the nailbed test to check oxygen, but much better to seek proper medical advice at this stage, IMO.

Hope she gets better soon.

Mumlar Mon 12-Nov-12 21:02:22

Hi there,

Don't want to panic you, but she may need IV antibiotics. One of my children had pneumonia aged three and we were told that it is notoriously difficult to diagnose. You know your child better than anyone, so if you are worried get back to the docs. Our child had shoulder tip pain which is apparently common in these cases. He was sick and very flushed, but he barely had a cough, as you might expect. He was very hot and very poorly.

Hope she gets better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now