Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is this pain?

(11 Posts)
Autumn12 Mon 12-Nov-12 11:45:03

For the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing an electric shock type pain on just one spot on my thigh. It doesn't seem to be related to anything.

It feels sort of like either a lit cigarette under the skin trying to get out , or an electric shock. My thigh also feels tender and bruised in that area, but that may be from me massaging it quite hard to try and ease the pain when it happens.

Has anybody else had anything like this?

digerd Mon 12-Nov-12 14:59:45

How long does the electric shock last, and where is it? Does it happen during movement or when you are still?

Autumn12 Mon 12-Nov-12 15:28:44

It's sort of in the middle of my thigh at the front. The time it lasts varies.
I think it happens mainly when I'm still. I first had it whilst sitting at my desk at work, I actually thought that the trousers I was wearing at the time were irritating my skin.

A couple of times it has woken me up in the early hours.

Poledra Mon 12-Nov-12 15:32:39

Could it be restless legs syndrome?

Autumn12 Mon 12-Nov-12 15:53:42

I don't think so as it's very painful and from what I've read restless legs syndrome isnt painful?

digerd Mon 12-Nov-12 16:17:32

A sharp short electric shock type pain I get too sometimes, but only when moving, and I know it is a sudden nerve pain, but usually in back of legs/joints. Even when sitting still, we are still using subtle movements that could touch a nerve, but front of the thigh, I don't know what that could be. Unless you have recently pulled the muscle. Cramp is an entirely different feeling as is in the muscles and lasts longer. The thigh muscle is one of the longest and strongest muscles. Your electric shock description is usually a nerve being pinched suddenly. Sorry is a mystery to me.

digerd Mon 12-Nov-12 16:23:38

Your GP will have a PAD device to test for Peripheral Arterial Disease over that area to rule that out, but don't keep rubbing it so hard. Is there a bruise visible there?

Autumn12 Mon 12-Nov-12 16:50:43

Yikles Arterial disease sounds scary!

No there's no visible bruise.

digerd Mon 12-Nov-12 17:27:15

PAD is when the blood is not getting to the tiny blood vessels. I paid privately for it to be done with other tests, but think I read that GPs can do that. I certainly had a scan done at GP to trace the blood flow through the biggest artery in the stomach which forks at your groin to go down each leg. All fascinating stuff. You should look PAD up on Google, but don't think it would just affect one small area, or is it a large area on your thigh? I also had my Carotid arteries on both sides of the neck scanned, and was told they were mild to moderately narrowed - YIKES- small threat of a stroke, so am on a high does of statins. Best forewarned and forearmed, I say.

digerd Mon 12-Nov-12 17:29:16

ooops " dose "- brain getting furred up too !!

Autumn12 Mon 12-Nov-12 17:40:20

It's a very small area on my thigh. I did actually have the veins in my legs scanned a few years ago when I had soem thread veins treated. So hopefully all is still ok there!

Thansk for your replies anyway - I guess I had better get to the Dr if it continues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now