Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Statins - different manufacturer everytime!?

(4 Posts)
carocaro Mon 12-Nov-12 11:39:36

I have been on a low dose statin for 12 weeks and have to get them on a repear prescription every month, however, I get the same dose but a totally different manufacturer every time, different colour and size pills. Three questions:-

Are they all totally exactly the same?
Why are the different each month?
Can I insist on the same ones each month?

I am sure the 2nd lot gave me headaches, the first lot were ok, or is there nothing in it? Does anyone know have any ideas?

Thanks

Sidge Mon 12-Nov-12 11:50:20

The prescription should be exactly the same each month, eg simvastatin 20mg.

The GP has to prescribe generically eg simvastatin, pravastatin, atorvastatin etc. But the pharmacist buys in those drugs from different manufacturers so when you take the prescripion to the pharmacist you get what they have in stock.

A bit like going to buy semi-skimmed milk - it's all semi-skimmed milk but from different dairies and in different packaging.

GPs aren't generally allowed to prescribe branded items so whilst you can ask for a particular one you are unlikely to get it; they tend to only do that where there is a good reason why a patient can't take any other brand of that medicine such as allergy.

digerd Mon 12-Nov-12 14:43:34

What dose are you on - 10 or 20. I was on 20 but didn't work, so was put on 40 once a day at night time, and they worked, especially when i was eating loads of stuffed olives as well, went down from 6.5 to 4.2 in 3 months. I don't get headaches.

carocaro Mon 12-Nov-12 19:49:19

It's 20, I have to have a blood test this week to see if it has come down after 3 months on them, otherwise they will up the dosage! Fingers crossed.

Thanks both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now