Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cervical Spondylosis

(6 Posts)
alligatorsoup Mon 12-Nov-12 10:41:26

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has experience of Cervical Spondylosis and what it is like living with this condition on a daily basis?

I was diagnosed with this on Friday and also have a slipped disk. I feel fed up because I have constant pins and needles in my hands, arms and feet
as well as shooting pains in my legs and pain in my hips. I am also still recovering from a crash c section and removal of one ovary and 2 cysts 4 months ago. Any reassurance that my body will get back to normal would be appreciated (know that there are lots of people out there with worse things going on in their lives, just feel fed up of the pain).

digerd Mon 12-Nov-12 14:34:31

The spondolosis in your neck is very common and causes pins and needles in your hands/fingers usually in the mornings after sleeping in a crooked neck position, but normally with me and others I have spoken to, it goes away when you are upright. It can also cause neck and head pain/aches when the nerve is trapped, and dizziness. But not constantly in my experience. For sleeping at night, I changed to a neck support pillow which stopped the night time pain.
With everything you have been through recently , I imagine from what others have said, that the slipped disc will cause you more pain than the spondylosis , and could be the cause of your lower limbs/hip pain.
The removal of an ovary and 2 cysts, sounds a delibitating op too, what an ordeal you've had. It will take time for you to recover from all this. I,m OK with the spondylosis, but haven't had all your other health problems, so cannot help sepecifically with that.
Good luck with your recovery

alligatorsoup Tue 13-Nov-12 09:37:57

Thank you for your reply Digerd. I definetly think that I am going to get a neck support pillow for night time.

The positive thing which I have noticed since my last post is that the pins and needles in my hands are only in my fingertips now and not really in the rest of my hands although they are still constant.

Thank you for your reply again

digerd Tue 13-Nov-12 14:04:37

Alligator
It should get better when your hands are hanging downwards and moving. It is when the arm in the same position especially when the elbow is bent. And I do shaking out the hands and moving my neck gently from side to side and in a circle ( that's when I hear the crunching) when I feel the nerve in back of neck is compromised. It helps. The neck support pillow has been great as used to get pain.

amillionyears Tue 13-Nov-12 14:13:54

Mine seems to be very mild compared to you two.
I cannot keep my head down for any length of time.
So, for instance, I buy ready made pastry instead of making it myself. And other cooking/baking , I try and minimise the looking down on the worktop bit.
For instance, I find it easier to peel veg/fruit sitting at a table.
I also try and keep my head in a certain position at night while I sleep.
Basically I work on my posture, particularly as I was recently told my migraines have been because of my cs.
Posture at the computer, posture when driving, posture on the sofa, posture when sleeping etc.
Now I am virtually pain free with both.
Occasional pins and needles, but prob not much more than other people?
Been diagnosed with cs about 13/15 years.

alligatorsoup Wed 14-Nov-12 12:54:43

Thanks once again Digerd.

amillionyears- Im glad that you are virtually pain free. That fills me with confidence. I have a physio appointment next Wed. I think I definetly have to work on my posture as I have scolosis as well (although this does not really give me pain much) and I am mindful that I might be slouching over my double pram. Thanks once again for replies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now