Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraine treatments.

(17 Posts)
AmberLeaf Sun 11-Nov-12 12:42:12

I have suffered on and off for several years now, I've taken the Migralieve pink tablets which can be effective, but the problem I am having is being able to take a tablet with some water when I am being constantly sick.

When it is bad, I cant even have a tiny sip of water without throwing up, so I'm often unable to take a pill to make me feel better!

Ive heard about Imigran, have been told they are good, but it doesn't solve the keeping them down problem.

Has anyone successfully used a suppository for migraine relief? are they available?

*disclaimer; I do get real migraines, its not 'just a bad headache' I get visual disturbances, terrible pain, vomiting, heightened sense of smell that makes me vomit even more. I can't stand up, can't bear light and am unable to function.

Im not having one now, which is why Im able to post here wink

MsElleTow Sun 11-Nov-12 12:46:19

You can get Imigran (or other Triptans which Imigran is) in a nasal spray, but your GP has to prescribe it. They can, also, and should be IMO, give you anti-sickness drugs.

I get real migraines too. I had four last weeksad. Imigran works for me,but so does 3 soluble aspirin in a glass of coke, but that will only work if you're not sick.

wonkylegs Sun 11-Nov-12 12:47:15

I've used the imigran nasal spray - not for a while as it interacts with some of my current other meds but it worked for me when I used it. On prescription from GP.

IslaValargeone Sun 11-Nov-12 12:48:30

I haven't tried the suppository but there is a nasal spray and an injection form of immigran. It's likely that nasal spray would be the first option before injection would be prescribed. I would opt for that over the suppository first, for obvious reasons of practicality!

ELR Sun 11-Nov-12 12:54:29

Hi
I get awfull migraines too. I have not heard of a suppository treatment but I can recommend immigran. You need to take it as soon as you get the first signs this way you avoid the whole sick thing, well usually!
They are pricy though £7 a time, I would suggest you get some and keep one in your bag. They give you palpitations but a small price to pay. I still get a migraine sometimes but it's not a severe as usual but if I catch it in time it can just be a bad headache.
What sets yours off?

AmberLeaf Sun 11-Nov-12 13:04:43

Thanks all.

I didn't know about the nasal sprays and yes, they sound much more 'practical'!

Id read about possible palpatations and that worried me a bit as I get them sometimes anyway [not when im having a migraine-just sometimes]

I will get some soluble aspirin, does it work with diet coke, or does it have to be the sugary one?

ELR
Not sure what sets them off, but it tends to be that I wake up with one, typically I would wake fairly early 5-6am with horrible pain behind one eye, when I try to get up thats when I start to feel sick.

I have noticed that I seem to get them on a saturday morning, which I have read can be common.

All this week I have felt a niggly feeling in my head and a bit of eye pain, which is what reminded me and prompted me to write this, luckily it didnt go into a full blown migraine.

Think I need to go to see my GP.

Thanks again.

ARightOldPickle Sun 11-Nov-12 13:18:50

I have a tritpan called Maxalt on prescription, it also comes in tablets but I have the small soluble 'wafers' that dissolve on the tongue because of the sickness problem. I can't take Imigran because of a sensitivity to one of the ingredients but Maxalt works really well.

I would advise talking to your GP, there are lots of different types these days and hopefully you will find something that works for you.

AmberLeaf Sun 11-Nov-12 13:29:21

Thank you ARightOldPickle

MsElleTow Sun 11-Nov-12 13:37:33

I use the sugary Coke Amber. I read an article by a professor from the London Migraine Clinic and they recommended it. I was sceptical at first, but thought I'd try it and was pleasantly surprised when it worked!

AmberLeaf Sun 11-Nov-12 13:47:10

Ok, Im getting some cans in tomorrow! and aspirin, anything is worth a try IMO.

Showtime Sun 11-Nov-12 13:56:12

I take Migraleve when necessary for very similar migraines, although taking it early enough usually deals with the nausea too. Remembering suffering nausea with cancer treatment, despite prescription for it, best thing which always worked was nibbling a ginger biscuit - not expensive variety, strongest available, Co-op v.good.

AmberLeaf Sun 11-Nov-12 14:02:00

I think because mine tend to come on early morning, its hard to nip them in the bud.

Agree that ginger biscuits are good, I used to nibble those when pregnant, ill try co ops. [any excuse for a biscuit!]

IslaValargeone Sun 11-Nov-12 14:12:14

With regard to the coke/diet coke, I would strongly recommend you steer clear of diet drinks in general, as they tend to contain aspartame which is a common migraine trigger, not to mention generally heinous anyway.

tilder Sun 11-Nov-12 14:43:45

Definitely go talk to your gp. There are lots of different types and lots of ways to get them in to you. I find some work for me, others don't and some make me feel really weird. I get on well with soluble ones plus one that dissolves between your lip and gum. Tastes foul though.

Check your gp is up on migraines though as I have had some very odd comments and general lack of understanding the symptoms. Good luck!

Showtime Sun 11-Nov-12 15:03:29

Agree it's difficult when migraines start on waking - my solution is two yellow Migraleve, which always put me to sleep. Drastic, but at least one's still in bed and not vomiting. Best wishes.

LargeLatte Sun 11-Nov-12 15:18:40

If you are having frequent debilitating migraines then there are preventative treatments available. I am on a low dose beta blocker now and it has literally changed my life. Also have occasional maxalt wafer which works almost instantly.

Whoever mentioned heart palpitations please get checked out - some heart conditions, think leaky valve is one, can cause migraine.

AmberLeaf Sun 11-Nov-12 15:20:58

Thanks so much everyone, much food for thought and Im making an appointment tomorrow to see my GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now