Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu like symptoms but no cold. Anyone ever had this?

(7 Posts)
Cartoonjane Sun 11-Nov-12 10:32:20

I have never felt like this before and it's worrying me. I feel weak, drained, a bit tingly and slightly nauseous. If I had a cough/ cold/ sore throat, I'd think nothing of it but I don't. No temperature, no upset stomach. Last week I had a headache on and iff for four days which has now gone. At first I thought my current feeling were as a result of that but I'm now on the third day of feeling like this.......
I'd love someone else to tell me they ad the same so I can put my mind at rest.

digerd Sun 11-Nov-12 18:19:03

Real flu - not a cold- always in my experience is accompanied by a high temperature, my last one was 38.5. I was shivering a few days before, but did not feel hot at 38.5, but had the symptoms you have. Older people and those with lung problems will usually get a real bad cough, but not a cold. Also, with the high temperature, which you say you do not have, the appetite is drastically reduced. I couldn't even force any food down me for 3 days and just slept, getting up every 4 hours during the day for a cup of tea, then zonking out in bed again. It will vary in intensity with individuals. Head ache I'm not prone to and didn't have them.

Can only advise you to see GP.

Trills Sun 11-Nov-12 18:20:00

You don't have to have "cold" symptoms to have the flu.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 11-Nov-12 18:22:33

The only time I had proper flu I had no cold symptoms but felt absolutely shite for about 10 days, I still have absolutely no recollection of the first three days with it. Mine started with a headache too but a headache like I'd never had before.

reikizen Sun 11-Nov-12 18:26:51

I often have 'flu like symptoms' but don't actually get ill iyswim. Just a passing virus I always assume that hasn't taken full hold. 2 paracetamol, bath & an early night is my advice!

WordsPuttingIntoSentenceDoing Mon 12-Nov-12 08:10:52

I had this in May. It was a bit scary really because I am never ill.

It started with a bit of backache one night and by the next morning my whole body was in awful pain. At its worst I couldn't even get out of bed because it was too sore, I had to kind of roll out and crawl to the living room to turn on CBeebies.

I also couldn't use my hands and arms properly, gripping a pencil (I was meant to be going an exam) was impossible and my handwriting looked like a 4 year olds. I had a very slight temperature, but not a fever. My head felt like it was wrapped in cotton wool.

The worst passed in 3-4 days but I didn't feel right for a good few weeks afterwards. I just tried to sleep as much as possible but it was hard as a single mum to a toddler grin

Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

lurkingfromhome Mon 12-Nov-12 15:35:27

Yep, last time I had flu no one I spoke to on the phone believed me as I sounded perfectly normal. I was perfectly normal other than the pounding head, complete lack of energy, achey bones, inability to do anything other than lie in bed staring at the ceiling and whimpering and utter utter weakness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now