Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Acid reflux

(15 Posts)
chockbic Fri 09-Nov-12 14:01:24

Can it cause pain in the rib area?

SuzySheepSmellsNice Fri 09-Nov-12 21:57:16

Gallstones can hurt there, a lot.

chockbic Sat 10-Nov-12 10:27:49

I've had an ultrasound and they couldn't see any stones.

Not sure what to do as omeprazole isn't helping sad

brettgirl2 Sat 10-Nov-12 14:03:24

I have never had pain in the rib area. What dose of Omeprazole are you on?

chockbic Sat 10-Nov-12 19:39:43

Hi it's 20mg.

autumnfrost Sat 10-Nov-12 19:46:51

Was it working before ?I have had to change to nexium

R2PeePoo Sun 11-Nov-12 00:27:41

My gastro-enterologist sent me for an ultrasound for the same thing, she suspected gallstones but nothing.

It was agonising at times, sharp stabbing pains and tender if I touched it.

I was prescribed omeprazole and lanzoprazole but don't take them for several reasons. I control my reflux very successfully through diet and have very few problems with it now. Whether it is co-incidence or not the pain in my ribs has gone too, it only flares up briefly if I eat or drink the wrong things. When I am tense, stressed or anxious it also can reappear.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Sun 11-Nov-12 08:11:00

I had this, a pain in my right side by my ribs & chronic reflux. They suspected gallstones but none were found. Lansoprazole made no difference.

i had an endoscopy & was diagnosed with coeliac disease. The pain was from damage to duodenum caused by gluten.

Keep going to the GP is the pain is not resolving.

chockbic Sun 11-Nov-12 09:16:56

Thanks everyone.

Omeprazole seemed to help for a while. In that it damped down the symptoms. It seems to have stopped working now though.

What kind of foods can make it worse? I had some popcorn the other night and it flared up quite bad.

R2PeePoo Sun 11-Nov-12 16:07:15

Foods to avoid with reflux:

Tomatoes, citrus fruit, tangy grapes, alcohol (especially wine), fizzy drinks.

Foods to have less of: anything salty, fatty or sugary. Also too much gluten or dairy can set it off. Portions of red meat should be small and also anything else that takes a while to digest : melted cheese, white meat, bacon etc.

Small meals, don't overfill your stomach with food or water, but do drink plenty of water. Don't eat after 7/8pm.

Things you can eat lots of: Salad, fish, potatoes, carrots, other vegetables, bananas

I had reflux so badly I ended up in hospital.

I stuck to this diet for a month and 90% of my symptoms and pain disappeared. Instead of eating 8 rennies a day, I take two or three a week. Now I can have more of the 'less of' foods than I could before, but I still try and keep them in moderation. I don't eat or drink anything from the 'avoid' list other than the occasional small amount of beer (one glass over the course of an evening). I am introducing things slowly back into my diet and working out how much is enough to trigger a reaction.

The gastroenterologist I saw said there is quite a tight bend on the right hand side under the ribs, that goes from the stomach. Sometimes wind can get trapped there, or some of the excess acid. In my case it manifested as IBS too, which has also pretty much disappeared.

chockbic Mon 12-Nov-12 10:37:40

Thank you poo smile

I wonder if it could be an allergy? As I feel fatigued and my gut feels heavy. The rib pain is like a pressure sensation.

I'll try changing my diet and see if the symptoms improve.

My GP take the drugs and don't bother me kind of guy isn't the most helpful

R2PeePoo Mon 12-Nov-12 11:03:01

It could certainly be an intolerance. I came back as negative for coeliac but my mum is one and my son is intolerant to lactose. I find I feel very unwell if I drink too much milk at once and keep my dairy levels quite low (I take a calcium tablet to compensate). Eggs are good, I forgot about eggs. Boiled, poached, scrambled, omelet - all good!

I have a very helpful gastro-enterologist who has referred me for all sorts of tests and gave me plenty of dietary advice. I worked the rest out for myself through trial and error. Some foods create more acid or are harder to digest which means they sit there whilst the body creates more acid to deal with them.

These sort of stomach problems are associated with high levels of depression and anxiety, I certainly didn't realise just how miserable they were making me until I started to feel better. Heavy, pressure in side, nausea, stomach contents coming back into mouth, sluggish, lethargic. Ugh. I just ate a couple of brie, bacon and jam pastries and have that feeling back again, but I know it will pass soon enough and I won't do it again!

Lanzoprazole and Omeprazole have been linked to fatigue and vitamin malabsorption. I took mine regularly for three weeks and could barely get out of bed, had no appetite and slept most of the time. I still have deep ridges in my thumbnails which are slowly growing out. But I recommend you make your own decisions on these, it was right for me to stop them, but I wouldn't want to make or influence that decision for you.

R2PeePoo Mon 12-Nov-12 11:04:55

Oh and the bloating! I looked six months pregnant all the time, belching all the time (so attractive).

Its all gone now, I look much trimmer and better and am wearing clothes two dress sizes smaller (22 to 18, although I am wearing some 16s now that I haven't fitted into since before DD was born 7 years ago)

chockbic Mon 12-Nov-12 11:37:54

Yes, a bloat baby, with no due date.

I've read about omeprazole and side effects, so wouldn't want to take it regularly. I kind of struggle on in a gutty haze, then succumb to a tablet when it gets really uncomfortable.

Good to know there's something else to try.

R2PeePoo Mon 12-Nov-12 12:44:21

Good luck with it. Its hard at first - I have to admit to having a little weep about pizza and wine, but it only needs to be restrictive for a few weeks. Then you will (hopefully) be feeling better, your head will be clearer and you will be able to think about reintroducing certain foods and working out your tolerance.

Also forgot to mention that you shouldn't skip meals and you should eat when you are hungry (except in the evening). Your stomach needs something to work on. I found I had major issues with light-headedness, dizziness and irritability when I skipped meals that I hadn't found before. It was like the acid filled my stomach so I never really felt particularly hungry, so I fought the hunger pangs and eventually they went away but so did my appetite and I ended up feeling really sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now