Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Head pain, not like a normal headache

(17 Posts)
Ghoulelocks Thu 08-Nov-12 22:28:18

I've had three of these now. Thank god they are brief or I would actually injure myself in an attempt to stop them. One woke me up in the night, the other two were before bed. It's on one side and I've never felt pain like it (including during childbirth). I find it hard to describe, maybe the nearest is a description of nerve pain. It's a white hot pain on one side, from about temple to jaw that is hard to explain just how intense it is. I don't really suffer from headaches but when I've had them I've wanted stillness and dark. These headaches have had me rocking and pacing like a mad woman, a bit out of it. I can't stay still and dh said I even resorted to banging my head at one point. Little warning they are about to happen and go in about 20min with or without pain relief, afterwards I'm left with a feeling like I've been kicked in the head. Tender and bruised feeling.

Does this description fit anything that anyone else has had? They've been pretty scary experiences. I'm fit and healthy with no history of any medical conditions or headaches beyond what would be considered normal and infrequent. I'm 32 weeks pregnant though.

GoreyClaWsPumpkinHeed Thu 08-Nov-12 22:30:24

Drink water, with dioralyte if you have any, all my worst ones came from dehydration or pressure change. Once I was even convinced I had meningitis and was actually really dehydrating, bleuch.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Thu 08-Nov-12 22:30:31

Er why have you not been to the doctor?

Ghoulelocks Thu 08-Nov-12 22:32:09

booked an appointment but it's still a week away. They've been in the last week.

MaMattoo Thu 08-Nov-12 22:32:21

See a dr. I know of one friend who had a similar experience - she had had her tooth removed and the dentist had pulled the sinuses out too...
See dr!

Ghoulelocks Thu 08-Nov-12 22:33:37

Gorey, I was a little freaked at the first because two girls I teach have viral meningitis (they're ok now and recovering fine). Just as I get to the point of going somewhere as an emergency they stop.

amarylisnightandday Thu 08-Nov-12 22:34:13

Yy to dioralyte but dehydration headaches don't just go.
You need to get to docs and get blood pressure checked.
I am a lifelong headache sufferer. Mine are mostly caused by sinusitis or low blood sugar. Having a lot of success with tiger balm and Olbas oil presently

YouBrokeMySmoulder Thu 08-Nov-12 22:34:45

What does your midwife say?

Ghoulelocks Thu 08-Nov-12 22:35:03

I went to the dentist a few weeks ago before they started (free at the moment!). I've never had any dental work in my life except a scale and polish

Ghoulelocks Thu 08-Nov-12 22:35:53

I'd had one last time I saw her, my bp was 90/60 which is where it always is. I'm seeing her again on Tuesday.

ScarahScreams Thu 08-Nov-12 22:36:04

Shit I thInk you need to go to the doctor.

Ghoulelocks Thu 08-Nov-12 22:38:18

I've had dehydration headaches, they've been a fuzzy all round thing.
I've had tension headaches, a throbbing dull vice like feeling
These are hard to describe but nothing like these.

EdgarAllansPo Thu 08-Nov-12 22:49:30

It sounds rather like abscess pain.

Ghoulelocks Fri 09-Nov-12 11:46:07

Has anyone else had anything similar? I'm fine in between, no pain anywhere at all.

poozlepants Fri 09-Nov-12 11:51:35

It could be this -Trigeminal neuralgia. I had serious face pain and this was suggested- turned out it wasn't but it could well be what you have.

PhilMckrakin Fri 09-Nov-12 12:01:56

I agree with poozlepants, sounds like trigeminal neuralgia from the type of pain and location you describe.

Ghoulelocks Fri 09-Nov-12 12:03:54

I've just looked that up, thank you. The picture of the nerves are in the exact places I've describe the pain. I've booked both doc and dentist and got midwife next week too so I will ask all. I once had a series of milder pains in the same place about two years ago, but nowhere near as intense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now