Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

fellow IBS sufferers HELP pls :'(

(16 Posts)
PainForLife Thu 08-Nov-12 17:22:57

my IBS is pretty bad today... all I've had is breakfast as anything I eat is causing me pain.

all week I've been constipated and have had really bad cramps pplus left breast pain and really really bad back pain.

I avoid all the usual food groups like wheat and dairy. have lactose free milk, dnt have any fizzy/caffIenated drinks. despite all this today has been absolutely hell. the pain is not subsidizing and I'm really thinking about going to A&E but am scarred I'll just be fobbed off.....

any1 had anything really help them on a day like this??? I'd rather just go to my G.P tomorrow then have to wait for hours in A&E though if it gets any worse I won't have any choice sad

hiddenhome Thu 08-Nov-12 20:01:01

Have you noticed a trigger at all? Have you tried keeping a food diary?

PainForLife Thu 08-Nov-12 20:20:36

no triggers as such just wheat n dairy which I dont have anyway. I might need to start keeping a food diary as I've never felt this kinda pay before!

PainForLife Thu 08-Nov-12 20:20:56

pain*

OhEmGee25 Thu 08-Nov-12 20:29:42

Have you taken buscopan or colpermin? I rely on them heavily during pain attacks

PainForLife Thu 08-Nov-12 20:35:37

no all I take is tramadol for pain relief. I'll have to speak to my G.P tomorrow about getting of those meds!

OhEmGee25 Thu 08-Nov-12 20:37:42

They can be bought over the counter. My gastro consultant gave me loads of potions but they're the most effective for me smile

Jakadaal Thu 08-Nov-12 20:38:48

Agree that first line of attack for me is Buscopan or an anti spasmodic (you can buy them over the counter). Tramadol is a heavy duty painkiller - could there be something in that that is making things worse?

Tuttutitlookslikerain Thu 08-Nov-12 20:42:40

My IBS is always worse when I am constipated and one of the side effects of Tramadol is constipation. I'm shocked they have given you that for IBS pain.

Have you got any peppermint tea? Sipping that helps me. I, also take Mebeverine and Buscopan. You can buy Buscopan in Tesco, it is brilliant. Can someone get you some. Also, a hot water bottle on your tummy might help.

ioness Thu 08-Nov-12 20:44:13

If you've had constipation for a week and the pain is presumably caused by trapped wind, perhaps something laxative would help?

For me that would be chocolate, red wine or coffee.

I haven't found the antispasmodics help me much. The only thing that helps mine is trying to stay stress free. But it's such a variable illness - I think different things work for different people.

It's awful the pain. I hope you feel better soon.

PainForLife Thu 08-Nov-12 21:04:52

thanks all for the advice much appreciated smile

tuttut tramadol wasn't prescribed for IBS per say. I have many other health issues & it's d only pain killer that works to alleviate my pains. I didn't realise it causes constipation (been taking it for 2 yrs & guess I've been lucky not to have had constipation before) & it could very well be wot is worsening my IBS. will have to discuss it with my G.P.

I've sent my brother to get me some buscopan and made myself a hot water bottle.... hopefully I'll be able to get through the night!

PainForLife Fri 09-Nov-12 11:57:19

hey every1 so buscopan didn't do anything to the pain last nyt. had a terrible night have hardly slept.

just had some toast for breakfast followed by a cup of tea. I released a lot of gas after eating & today there was a bit less pain when eating so am wondering maybe buscopan did work after all.....

going Dr's later today.

PickledFanjoCat Fri 09-Nov-12 12:00:06

Have you tried fybogel mebeverine?

It really helped me mine eased off a bit and not cant take as pg.

PainForLife Fri 09-Nov-12 12:26:13

no not tried that pickledfanjocat does it need prescribing or can it be bought over the counter? I'll mention it to my G.P later today. poor u but congrats on being pg smile

PainForLife Fri 09-Nov-12 19:34:52

so G.P doesn't think it's my IBS as I've not had any trigger foods. has given me lanzoprazole, metoclopramide & Bisacodyl.....

have just eaten a bit of dinner & about to take the tablets... hopefully will have a good night sleep tonight & hopefully no more pain hmm

aroomofherown Fri 09-Nov-12 20:20:57

I've no idea if this is the case for you but I went to a dietician and it turns out that the constant back pain I've had for 18 months (included seeing a physio every fortnight, doing 5 months of Reformer Pilates - kept aching despite everything) was connected to a bad bacteria in my gut that feeds off starches and causes joint pain in lower back and large joints.

We are now getting rid of it with herbal medicines and diet. It's also cured my chronic diarrhea (I was diagnosed with IBS 4 years ago but it's been relatively mild unless I get stressed).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now