Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

4 impacted wisdom teeth meeting the end of the road on Friday

(11 Posts)
Sl1nkyMalinki Wed 07-Nov-12 23:11:56

Tell me, how bad is it going to be?

3 have partially cut through the gum, one is infected.

My consultant is an absolute joy hmm and has told me to expect to be in a lot of pain for a week and unable to eat solids til week 2.

Is he giving me the worst case scenario or is that pretty accurate? I'm nervous to say the least sad

Lottiedonnegan Wed 07-Nov-12 23:19:28

Had all four out under general, was a walk in the park. Nothing more than minor discomfort. Lost a bit of weight because I ate slowly for a bit. Had about 5 days off work but went shopping the next day and could have gone back much earlier. I'm sure I was lucky but does happen! I'd do it again for a rest!

Sl1nkyMalinki Wed 07-Nov-12 23:32:55

Thank you Lottie! You can be my new best friend grin Consultant told me that if I wasn't a SAHM he would recommend 3 weeks off work [faints]

I'm trying to look at the positives - some uninterrupted sleep and maybe shifting the last few pesky pounds.

Lottiedonnegan Thu 08-Nov-12 20:25:38

Good luck for tomorrow. Hope all goes well. Make the most of it and get some rest definitely!

PainForLife Thu 08-Nov-12 21:20:55

I was due to have all four taken out but when I got there the consultant was lyk bottom 2 r bad, top 2 r fine so only had 2 taken out under general. tbh within 24 hrs I was back to normal & back to work. just kept talking to minimum for a few days & lost a bit of weight as ate v.slowly (all was v.welcome) smile

gud luck u will be fine smile

notnowbernard Thu 08-Nov-12 21:27:54

I had 4 impacted out under GA

Kept getting repeated infections (which made me want to self-harm, medieval style, the pain was so bad - worse than childbirth)

It was painful for a few days after. I got horrendous swelling but bruising not too bad

Couldn't eat solids for 3 days

I had a week off work. Didn't have DC then though... good luck, hope it goes ok for you smile

snozzlemaid Thu 08-Nov-12 21:49:45

Had my 4 out with a GA. It was fine, much better than I expected. Tired for 24 hours and sore for a couple of days, 3 at the most. I ate soup and things I didn't have to chew, like spaghetti hoops and scrambled egg. I had them removed on a Thursday and I went back to work on the following Tuesday.
Only bad thing was I had a bit if nerve damage from when they removed the very impacted bottom ones, which left me with half a numb tongue. This lasted about 6 weeks in total - the numb bit got smaller and smaller over this time.
Good luck.

Cailleach Fri 09-Nov-12 09:30:57

I dunno if I'm made of steel or something <flexes muscles> but neither of my lower wisdom teeth bothered me at all when they were removed.

One was partially impacted: that was a piece of piss to take out as it was already partly through the gum. Took about 15 mins. I was warned it would probably be swollen later on that day and be a bit sore but it was neither: next day I literally couldn't feel any pain and didn't need painkillers. It was only the odd gap back there that annoyed me, that plus getting bits of food out of the hole on a regular basic as it healed (grim but not sore at all.)

The other one was removed ten years later and was a proper little sod to get out: horizontally impacted, and deeply sited to boot. Took about 45 mins to yank it out. OK, it swelled up like a football when I got home and yes, my jaw was a bit stiff the next few days, but again, not much pain and I just got on with life as usual. It healed really quickly.

BUT: that first wisdom tooth that I had out at 19? That one got infected one Christmas, and it was agony. That's what you want to avoid, OP, because that really does hurt, trust me. So if someone tells you your wisdoms are going to give you gyp later on, trust their advice and get shot of 'em, pronto.

Hope it went well today. Let us know how you got on.

Sl1nkyMalinki Fri 09-Nov-12 23:45:22

Thank you so much everybody!

I have survived; all four out which took 90 minutes. Ergh. I'm still a bit numb but slowly coming back, no bruising yet but I look like a chipmunk!

It's nowhere near as bad as I expected but I've been warned that tomorrow will be the worst day. Can't wait hmm.

Also hoping to lose a few pounds! But I'm a tough old bird so I can see me stuffing myself with toast on Monday morning grin

Thanks again smile

RibenaFiend Fri 09-Nov-12 23:52:34

Hope the tooth fairy comes!!!

I had all 4 out under GA at 22. I looked like a chipmunk, very faint bruising. Ate chocolate pudding, back to work 2 days after. No pain but some jaw stiffness. I also had "preventative" antibiotics for some reason (I think a tooth exploded or something grin)

Tooth fairy came grin

They always give you the absolute worst case. Infections are apparently the most horrendous thing. They say breaking your leg hurts too but that's balls! Nothing a beer didn't numb!

Try and wedge your head so you can't turn it- keep off your cheeks and that helps when you wake up!

Sleep well OP smile

Sl1nkyMalinki Sat 10-Nov-12 12:25:42

Well, ouch is all I can say. thank god for codeine. I'm taking the maximum plus everything else they gave me so I'm a bit woooo and floaty grin

They didn't give me my teeth! How rude!

I have the antibiotics as I had a long standing infection in one of them. Basically I've put this op off for about 8 years now and left it til it was unbearable .

Going to eat some soup shortly then hoping to graduate to mashed potato tomorrow grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now