Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tongue thrusting...

(12 Posts)
NewNames Wed 07-Nov-12 19:57:56

Sadly, this isn't nearly as interesting as the title suggests...

I think I'm pushing my teeth with my tongue - tongue thrusting! I've noticed myself with a clenched jaw, tongue jammed into my front teeth at the top. It would explain the headaches I've been getting recently I think. I also ache around my neck and shoulders although this could be unrelated.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this? Wondering who I need to book an appointment with - docs or dentist. Worried i'm going to eventually push my teeth out!

mawbroon Wed 07-Nov-12 22:29:02

You need a dentist who looks at the whole body, not just the mouth.

Could you be tongue tied? DS1 tongue thrusts and it has caused an open bite and coupled with mouth breathing, has made his bottom jaw already become bigger than the top one (he's just 7). We have had his tongue revised and are getting his high narrow palate expanded. Once there is a bit more room in his palate, he will do some exercises to correct the tongue thrust swallowing action.

Where are you based (roughly?)

bonzo77 Wed 07-Nov-12 22:45:53

OP, its a pretty common problem, and in adults the treatment is different that in adults. The tongue thrust you describe is probably different to the one mawbroon does. Yours is likely to be part of your jaw clenching and muscle tension cycle, while mawbroon's DS's is likely to be an unusual variation of swallowing pattern.

Finding a dentist with a whole body approach might be easier said than done, but most dentists will be able to supply a bite raising appliance to break the clenching / grinding part of the problem. I would also recommend that you seek the opinion of an osteopath or chiropracter. Wouldn't bother with a doctor, at best you'll get painkillers or muscle relaxants.

I think you are unlikely to cause any movement of your teeth, though it's not impossible. What you are describing is a phenomenon of modern, stressful life and probably a response to current stressors, and may well pass by itself.

NewNames Wed 07-Nov-12 23:13:02

Thanks both. I'm a bit blush as I didn't know this was a common problem and I didn't know what being tongue tied was either!

I saw an osteopath recently for a bad back but she didn't mention anything about my jaw/head etc

Maybe it is stressed. About 10 years ago I went to the dentist with what I thought was wisdom teeth trouble but turned out I was grinding my teeth so hard in my sleep it was causing pain during the day. Not sure what I can do about stress though.

Maybe I should go to the dentist and have it checked out.

Am now v conscious of how I swallow and I do push my tongue against my top teeth when I do - is that normal?! I have no idea!

NewNames Wed 07-Nov-12 23:14:16

Oh and i'm in London.

mawbroon Wed 07-Nov-12 23:19:33

A normal swallowing action should result in your tongue going up to the roof of your mouth and nowhere else.

Jaw clenching and teeth grinding are common amongst tongue tied people. The tie can also cause a lot of tension in the jaw/neck.

some good info here

Do you have any other stuff going on that is common in people with tongue tie? Digestive problems, allergy/intolerance, high palate, orthodontic problems, snoring/sleep apnoea, clicky jaw to name a few.

NewNames Wed 07-Nov-12 23:29:13

Crikey, erm... My jaw is clicky, I have IBS and underacrive thyroid. Allergic to some green fruits and veg (raw). I'm a mess wink

I shall read the link!

I just tried swallowing with my tongue going to the roof of my mouth only and it felt v odd. It still wants to push out.

NewNames Wed 07-Nov-12 23:30:40

After googling I did look at the underside of my tongue though and it looks 'normal', I think.

mawbroon Thu 08-Nov-12 08:14:44

There lies the problem with many tongue ties. So often, to the untrained eye, the tongue appears normal. If you google pics of tongue tie, you get mostly anterior ties which are quite obvious. Posterior tongue tie is where the frenulum is at the base of the tongue, sometimes partially or completely buried in the membranes so there is little or no frenulum to see. These are the ones that the HCPs miss all the time in babies.

Can you touch your soft palate with your tongue? Can you put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and then open your mouth wide? Look at the floor of your mouth when you lift your tongue up high, does it lift up a lot? None of these things will tell you for sure if you have a tongue tie, but people without them are normally able to do these things easily.

NewNames Thu 08-Nov-12 11:07:02

Thanks maw. I can do all of those things. I will get it checked out though!

mawbroon Thu 08-Nov-12 11:15:32

Make sure you go to somebody who understands about ties. And that's not usually your GP or NHS dentist I'm afraid.

This dentist knows about ties, but he is a paediatric dentist. His office might know somebody who can help though.

NewNames Thu 08-Nov-12 17:09:29

Thank you that's really helpful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now