Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coming off the pill - strange effects on skin?

(4 Posts)
sparkle101 Wed 07-Nov-12 14:09:42

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I came off the pil three months ago as we're trying to conceive DC #2 and there has been some strange effects on my skin, was wondering whether anyone else had suffered with this or whether anyone has advice.

The back of my neck and shoulders have been itching like mad, especially at night, although this appears to have subsided a bit but now the issue is with the back of my head, the skin is itchy and flaky and when scratching big bits of skin come off at a time (along with some hair) occasionally the scalp becomes sticky and then matted. Underneath my eyes are red and puffy and sore. When I cry or remove my makeup or put moisturiser on it stings like anything.

Anyone have any ideas? I know I can't go back on the pill in the future if I'd have realised it would have caused this (any my raging emotions!)

BlueChampagne Thu 08-Nov-12 13:53:04

Poor you! It's certainly possible, given that I was put on the pill to treat acne. Worth talking to GP though. Good luck with DC2!

MortimersRaven Thu 08-Nov-12 14:00:11

Oh my goodness I have a similar thing - didn't make the connection. I came off the pill 3 months ago. My shoulders have become dry and spotty and itchy. My eyes are dry and sore too, I'd put that down to the air pollution here in China which has been bad lately. I don't have the same scalp issues, but overall it sounds similar.

I would suggest if you have scalp problems to switch shampoo for a while. I have been rubbing face moisturiser all over my shoulders since it's the only thing that seems to help.

Intrigued to watch the thread and see if anyone has any answers!

Ponyofdoom Sat 10-Nov-12 00:37:10

Oh that's weird, because I came off Cerazette recently and got a sore, weeping patch on my scalp which has only just healed, never had that before, thought I had burnt myself with the straighteners and not noticed! I went back on the pill after a month and my skin has now gone better than it has ever been..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now