Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Painful sex... Could it really be because of breastfeeding?

(7 Posts)
PenelopeChipShop Tue 06-Nov-12 17:55:38

Aargh thought about name changing but only have 5 mins til ds wakes up so no time for modesty and am not that well known anyway. Just as the title says really... I haven't felt the same during sex since having ds and he's 4 months now. Had an elcs so wasn't expecting any issues in that department as didn't even experience labour. Pelvic floor feels ok, I do exercises as often as I remember and it hasn't totally gone to pot or anything. I've read that breastfeeding causes dryness, could the pain just be down to that? Ie would it be normal to have pain while still feeding a lot or is this worth a doc visit? Even with lube I can barely stand it at all. Am just quite sad as we get few enough opportunities anyway and I can't even take it (literally!) when we do get a chance!

LaCiccolina Tue 06-Nov-12 18:04:42

Eh? Really? New on me and I bfd for 14mths....

Ill wait incase others say diff, but I don't think that's the cause. I was emc so similar. It did take hormones a while to settle. I don't think that's peculiar to anything but being pregnant and then not being tho....?

Sorry not more help...

digerd Tue 06-Nov-12 20:10:24

If still terribly painful with lube, would advise a DR appt for an internal. Hope that's not too painful for you.

AThingInYourLife Tue 06-Nov-12 20:14:48

Oh yes, I had this after DD2 and have it again.

Last time it had resolved itself by a year (I was still bfing).

DD3 is 4 months, so I'm hoping that will be the case again.

I have no libido anyway.

SomethingSuitablyWitty Wed 07-Nov-12 13:38:29

I think it could be. Had problems too - painful and not enjoyable even with lube (and that was after longer than 4 mths TBH) - all probs disappeared after stopping BFing at 11 mths. T'was MN that alerted me that BFing could be the reason. Gynae hadn't been v. helpful beyond advising lube, but did confirm that there was no physical problem to blame.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 07-Nov-12 13:56:42

Painful sex can be linked to endometriosis being present so I think this is definately worth a GP visit. GP should refer you to a gynae in any event for further evaluation.

I would keep a pain and symptom diary and if this persists get a second opinion. Elective c-section may have caused adhesions to arise (this is a common problem of such abdominal surgery). Adhesions tether organs together and can cause pain.

sparkle101 Wed 07-Nov-12 14:02:27

I too have had very painful sex but not due to BF. I have just come off of the pill (and the difference is amazing) didn't think it would be linked but six odd years of it and now its fine. Saw a piece on this morning recently about painful sex being linked to different hormones or the lack thereof, not sure if thats anything to do with post birth or breastfeeding though. Just an idea?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now